A man was shot and critically wounded early Friday in Baltimore's Old Goucher neighborhood, and police arrested a suspect in a separate shooting in East Baltimore.

Police said the Old Goucher shooting occurred at about 4 a.m. in the 2100 block of N. Charles St. The victim, an unidentified 22-year-old, was standing in the block when an older model vehicle pulled up and a group of males got out and surrounded him, said Det. Angela Carter-Watson, a police spokeswoman. He was shot once in the chest.


The shooter was described as a black male, about 20 years old and 5-foot-5 inches tall with close cropped hair and a goatee. Carter-Watson said he jumped back into the car and fled the scene.

On Friday morning, detectives were no longer on scene but crime scene tape still blocked off an alley in the middle of the 2100 block of N. Charles St., with remnants of tape dangling from a business doorknob and light posts. The scene was steps away from Baltimore's public radio affiliate, WYPR 88.1 FM.

Northern District detectives were investigating.

On June 3, 26-year-old Willie Ben Miller was fatally shot nearby at the intersection of Charles and West 20th streets. That case remains unsolved.

Police have made an arrest, meanwhile, in a non-fatal shooting that occurred Thursday night in the 900 block of Webb Ct. in the Oldtown neighborhood. Officers responding to reports of gunfire at about 11 p.m. found the unidentified victim at the corner of E. Eager and Valley streets being treated by medics for a single gunshot wound to his thigh, police said.

Police said the victim was uncooperative with investigators, but another person approached the officers and told them that a man named Keith Brockington had fired the shot and was inside of a residence. Brockington, 46, of the 900 block of Webb Ct., answered the door, and after being positively identified as the shooter was arrested and charged with attempted first-degree murder, first-degree assault, and related charges, police said. A motive for the shooting was not disclosed.

An attorney could not be reached for Brockington, as charges did not immediately appear Friday morning in the Maryland Judiciary Case Search database.