Two Southern District police officers initiated a traffic stop Thursday when they noticed a woman was in distress, which led to a televised car chase. Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake and Interim Commissioner Kevin Davis credited the officers with saving the woman from potential harm. (Colin Campbell/Baltimore Sun video)

A man with a woman he allegedly abducted led police on a 25-minute car chase from Baltimore to Anne Arundel County and back to the city late Thursday afternoon before he crashed in Southwest Baltimore and was arrested, police said.

No one was injured in the chase, which was broadcast live on local television. Police said charges against the man are pending.


Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake and interim police Commissioner Kevin Davis praised the officers for arresting the man without injuries.

Davis said two patrol officers were in the Southern District when they "pulled up next to a car and a woman was in obvious distress."

"So they got behind the car and attempted to initiate a traffic stop," he said. "The perpetrator took off, and the pursuit was on."

Police in the department's Foxtrot helicopter unit followed the silver sedan as the man led them into Anne Arundel County and back into the city. The chase ended when the suspect's car crashed into the front steps of a boarded-up rowhouse in the 300 block of S. Smallwood Street in Carrollton Ridge.

The relationship between the suspect and the woman is unclear, police said, as is the motive for the alleged abduction. Both the mayor and commissioner said they believe the man planned to hurt the woman.

"You're not going to run from police for 25 minutes if you're not hell-bent on doing someone harm," Davis said. Rawlings-Blake said the woman was "destined to be injured, if not killed."

Police generally are required to avoid high-speed chases because of the risk of injury to others. Officials said the continuous helicopter surveillance allowed officers on the ground to follow the car from a distance and eventually arrest the suspect without incident.

"The reason why there were no citizens injured, the reason why the suspect was taken into custody without injury, was because the Foxtrot unit did what it was supposed to do and the officers on the ground did what they were supposed to do," Rawlings-Blake said.

Davis called the pursuit "textbook," and commended the officers' "professionalism," "restraint," "service" and "dedication."

"It's a terrible situation, but it worked out as best as you could hope for," he said.

News helicopters broadcast footage of plainclothes Detective David Bomenka — in a white summer suit and tie — running up to the crashed vehicle and forcing the suspect to the ground as he made the arrest.

"Our detective Bomenka in the summer attire — I don't think he knew he was going to get involved with this today, but he certainly did a great job," Davis said. "He risked his life."

Davis said Bomenka and the three other officers involved were veterans with a combined 100 years of service. Rawlings-Blake said they and the other officers in the city deserved to be recognized for their dedication.

"That's what they do every day, and I think sometimes we lose sight of that," Rawlings-Blake said. "Every single day when the men and women of the Baltimore City Police Department show up for work they put their lives on the line."