Five people shot along half-mile crime scene in East Baltimore

A man with a gunshot wound to his arm fled into a home in East Baltimore with four children inside, where he barricaded himself as scores of rifle-toting SWAT officers surrounded the house.

Police caught two suspects and were searching for two others after five people were shot, one fatally, Wednesday afternoon in East Baltimore, a crime scene that stretched nearly a half-mile and shut down rush hour traffic on a major artery out of the city.

Major Osborne Robinson III said officers were in the area of North Kenwood Avenue and East Monument Street when they heard gunshots and spotted a man firing a weapon. That man was taken into custody, and a second suspect was caught after a chase through an alley.


A car at the scene sped off and crashed as officers approached, and the occupants got out and ran, police said.

One of them ran into the home in the 800 block of N. Linwood Ave., barricading himself with four children inside for hours before surrendering at about 6:15 p.m. Police said it is unclear whether he had any connection to the home; neighbors said they did not recognize him.


The man who died was not identified. One of the other victims was a 17-year-old boy, police said. Police found two guns in a vehicle involved in the incident nearby.

"It's crazy. It shouldn't be going on," said resident Briana Redd, 18. "It's broad daylight. There's so many children, getting out of school, day care."

Two other suspects were pursued and remained at large, Robinson said. Linwood Avenue and streets around it were blocked off, and the city and county SWAT teams could be observed running an operation.

At one point, a woman and small child could be observed being pulled out of a home by heavily armed officers. In the rear of the block, the ladder of a fire truck was extended above the row of homes.

City Councilman Warren Branch stood nearby observing the police activity and noted the Eastern District has seen reductions in violence overall this year. Some have wondered if a police "slowdown" may be a factor in recent uptick in shootings since the unrest over Gray's death.

"If the Baltimore Police Department leaves the city, I'm leaving with them," Branch said. "I think we need each other."

Alex Long, 28, and Mack Jones, 36, who work with the Rose Street Community Center, said they were outside when they heard shots ring out.

"All you heard was shots, then someone screaming," Jones said.

A woman was outside with two young children, and the men said they ran to help her to safety.

As they looked on, Long lamented the recent surge in violence.

"People are losing their lives, and it's all for nothing," he said.

Early on at the crime scene, one victim was observed lying on North Kenwood Avenue outside of a black sedan that had sustained front end damage, its bumper separated from the rest of the car. He told paramedics he had been shot in the side.


Several blocks west at North Milton Avenue at East Madison Street, officers had blocked off a portion of the street with a large amount of blood on the sidewalk.

A few blocks away on North Port Street, a teenager was loaded into an ambulance. An upset man who said he was a relative demanded to get inside of the ambulance, and at one point climbed inside and was removed.

Police also had Monument Street shut down at North Montford Avenue, where witnesses said at least one vehicle had two bullet holes in its side.

Baltimore Sun reporter Colin Campbell contributed to this article.

Recommended on Baltimore Sun