Acquitted of murdering her husband, Laurel woman charged with attempting to influence witnesses in the case

Less than two months after being acquitted of first-degree murder, a Prince George’s County woman is headed back to court next week on charges that she attempted to influence witnesses in the case of her estranged husband’s death, former FBI investigator Scott Horn.

Anne Reed Allen, 62, was acquitted Nov. 20 of all charges stemming from her husband’s killing on March 16, 2017.


But on the day of her acquittal, police filed new charges against her — two felony counts of attempting to influence state witnesses and one count of obstruction of justice, according to state’s attorney spokeswoman Denise Roberts.

Police allege Allen tried to impede the couple’s two adult children from testifying for the state during the November trial.


Allen could not immediately be reached for comment Friday. No attorney is listed for her in court records.

The charges are the latest twist in a bizarre case surrounding Horn’s death. The body of the former FBI investigator was found beneath a tarp and wood pile behind the couple’s home in Laurel. Officials said he had been shot and beaten to death.

Allen and Horn had a history of domestic violence involving numerous protective orders and criminal charges. The couple was in the process of divorcing at the time of Horn’s death, according to court records.

Allen’s attorney in the murder trial, Andrew Jezic, maintained his client’s innocence and said Horn was unpopular among neighbors and known to carry large sums of cash on his person.

The trial spanned three weeks and centered largely on circumstantial evidence, according to counsel for both the prosecution and defense.

Breaking News Alerts

Breaking News Alerts

As it happens

Be informed of breaking news as it happens and notified about other don't-miss content with our free news alerts.

While Allen was still awaiting trial, police allege she reached out to a woman through a phone call Sept. 7 and asked her to relay messages to her children while they were listed as witnesses for the state.

Allen told the woman that “the kids have to be persuaded” and “it’s important for them not to participate and tell them that they don’t want to participate,” court documents state. Allen also allegedly told the woman to relay to her children that they could “drop the case,” documents state.

If convicted, Allen faces up to 20 years in prison for each charge of influencing witnesses and another five years and a $10,000 fine for the obstruction charge.


Double jeopardy does apply in Allen’s case, meaning she cannot be charged a second time with killing Horn, Roberts said.

The trial is scheduled for 10:30 a.m. Jan. 10 at the Prince George’s District Courthouse in Marlboro.

Another individual, Jason Allen Byrd of Westminster, was arrested in July 2017 in connection with Horn’s death. Charges against Byrd were later dropped due to insufficient evidence, the Sun reported at the time.

The investigation into Horn’s death is ongoing.