Daniel and Mary Jane McCann said lsat week that they've identified a woman who was seen at a Little Italy pastry shop two days before her body was found on Nov. 2, 2008. A sketch artist interviewed the pastry shop waitress and, the family says they recently found the woman behind the drawing.
But Baltimore police dismissed the sketch last week, falsely saying it was done with the help of a psychic. Not true, shouted back the McCanns, who provided the phone number of the artists, a retired Montgomery County homicide detective, and his notes. Police say they're not pursuing the matter any further, believing Annie took her own life. Her parents continue to fight for a murder investigation.
Previous posts on this blog have included a lengthy statement from the McCanns and a letter from the Baltimore Police Department's homicide commander.
Here are the notes the sketch artist took as he interviewed the waitress at Vaccaro's, who recalled Annie and the woman talking for 40 minutes:
UNKNOWN SUBJECT PROFILE
DATE: 3-4-9 (0920hrs.) met at 1100hrs. concluded at 1300 hrs. finished 1800 hrs.
WITNESS: (identifying info deleted Jan 19, 2012) Works at Vaccaros Pastry shop in Canton Square, 2919 O' Donnell St. Baltimore MD.
INTERVIEWER: Morton, Davis
EXPOSURE AND LOCATION: 10-31-08 sometime between 1100hrs. and 1400hrs, Weather: Sunny in the mid 50's. At Vaccaros Pastry Shop 222 Albemarle St. Baltimore MD 21221 Tel. 410-685-4905. Sometime between 1100hrs. and 1400hrs. the victim and #2 came into Vaccaros and sat at table #8 (straight back from the front door in the middle under windows.. Witnesss was working at the bar and (co-worker) was working at the counter.
The victim ordered a Vaccaros Cappuccino with x-tra whipped cream (Witness says the whipped cream is x-tra sweet so it surprised her that anyone would want an xtra one) Victim was friendly and polite and seemed nice. She asked if she could try the Cannoli. Witness gave her a cup containing two Chips of cannoli and some cannoli cream on the side. She forgets what #2 ordered but assumes it was a soda.
The victim and #2 sat there for about 40 minutes. During that time Witness, (co-worker) and a customer called Mr. (deleted) sat at table #11 for about 5 minutes. Witness did not overhear any of the conversation between the Victim and #2 or observe any laughter or see smiling. She said that the victim appeared to be doing all of the talking. She said #2 looked like she wanted to be somewhere else. She looked very tired and when witness did hear her talk (when she was waiting on them) #2 spoke very softly and seemed to be very tired
Witness did not pay close attention to the pair and only remembers them being there because the victim seemed very nice.
SUBJECT: #2 W/F Page# 2
GENERAL PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION
1. RACE, SEX & HERITAGE: (nationality)
White Female appeared to be of Italian decent.
2. HEIGHT & POSTURE:
5'7" to 5"10". Witness only saw #2 sitting down and said she was "a couple
inches taller" than the victim.
3. WEIGHT & BUILD: (Fluctuation, 5 ", 10 lbs.)
Medium to thin build 120-130 lbs. Witness said she had about the same build
as the victim and that she looked like she "took care of herself." Witness only
saw her sitting down.
4. HAIR & EYES: (color, length, thickness, style, etc.)
Long very straight dark brown hair. Not layered on the sides but witness did
not see the back. Very dark brown eyes… heavy mascara, eye liner. The lids of
her eyes were red like #2 had not slept in a while. She had dark circles under her
eyes that she covered with foundation make-up.
5. FACIAL HAIR: (color, thickness, 5 O'clock shadow, sparse areas, etc.)
6. COMPLEXION: (fair, medium, dark, tan, freckles, acne, etc.)
Dark complexion "like an Italian."
SUBJECT: #2 Page #3
7. AGING: (Look older or younger than age, lines, graying, posture, etc.)
She appeared to be a "couple of years older than the victim." 18 to 23 years old. Rather than a young face she appeared to be "mature and experienced."
8. LOOK-A-LIKE: (movie star, athelete, friend, etc.
1. MOST ATTRACTIVE FEATURE:
Her eyes. "She had a pretty face because of heavy makeup. Without makeup she
would not be that pretty."
2. LEAST ATTRACTIVE FEATURE
He nose was not attractive.
3. HAIRLINE & FOREHEAD: (square, narrow, heavy brow, veined, etc.)
4. EYES: (striking, dull, small, large, close set, avoid contact?, etc.)
"Pretty but looked tired." Did not avoid eye contact.
5. NOSE: (bridge and base thick or thin, pug, hooked, broken, etc.)
Just not attractive…NFD (no further description)
6. EARS: (large, small, even, stick out, flat, etc.)
Her hair covered her ears.
7. CHEEKBONES & CHIN:
Subject: #2 Page # 4
8. MOUTH: (in relaxed position: open, closed, smile, frown, drooped, etc.
lips, thick or thin, teeth visible? etc.)
Witness does not remember the mouth very well only the teeth.
9. TEETH: (gapped, large, small, clean, dingy, missing, etc.)
Very straight white front teeth when she talked.
10. VOICE: ( High, low, soft, loud, accent, lisp, talk slow or fast, etc.
good or bad grammar, swear a lot, favorite phrases, etc.)
Witness does not remember the voice well other than very soft.
11. NECK: (Thick, thin, muscular, long, short, Adams apple, etc.)
Wore a "hoodie" up around neck and hair covered the sides. Witness did
not see neck well.
12. COMPLEXES AND VANITIES:
1. MOST ATTRACTIVE FEATURE: (good posture, good build, etc.)
Medium to thin build, NFD
2. LEAST ATTRACTIVE FEATURE: (fat, beer belly,wide hips, etc.)
/Witness did not see her body well.
3. HIGH OR LOW WAIST:
Subject: #2 Page # 5
4. LONG OR SHORT ARMS AND LEGS:
5. LARGE OR SMALL HANDS AND FEET:
IMPORTANT DETAIL: #2 Did not have long nails but she had a very ugly
yellow brown nail polish. Witness said the "color of puke."
6. RIGHT OR LEFT HANDED, AMBIDEXTROUS:
7. DOES SUBJECT USE HANDS IN TALKING?
10. SCARS, MARKS, TATTOOS, AND ODDITIES: (size, location, color, etc.)
11. GLASSES, CONTACTS OR BRACES:
12. JEWELRY & WATCHES:
13. BODY HAIR: (Chest, back, upper arms, shaveline, etc.)
IMPORTANT DETAIL: NAIL POLISH COLOR..
Subject: #2 Page # 6
1. SLOPPY OR NEAT, FORMAL OR CASUAL:
Casual and not sloppy
2. FAVORITE COLORS TO WEAR: (dark or light, etc.)
Jeans and sweatshirt were blue
3. HAT AND GLOVES: (decorative or practical, knit, leather, brimmed)
4. COAT OR JACKET: (leather, denim, hooded sweat shirt, cloth, etc.)
Navy Blue "Hoodie" (hooded sweatshirt) with long sleeves
5. SHIRT & UNDERSHIRT: (collar or round neck, "T" shirt or tank top)
6. PANTS & BELT: (jeans, cloth, shorts, buck knife, chains, etc.)
Light colored faded jeans… tight with artificial rips in the knees.
7. SHOES: (cowboy or work boots, jogging shoes, sneakers, etc.)
IMPORTANT DETAIL: With nail polish color, her style of ripped jeans and
the "Hoodie" may set her apart fro others.
SUBJECT: #2 Page # 7
DESCRIPTION FOR A NEIGHBORHOOD
White Female (Italian looking dark complexion), 18 to 23 years, 5"7" to 5'10", 120 to 130 lbs., dark brown straight hair past the shoulders, dark brown eyes, she wore very heavy makeup (eye liner, mascara and foundation makeup to cover dark circles under eyes), ugly yellow / brown nail polish on nails, wearing a Navy blue "Hoodie" and tight, light blue faded jeans with artificial rips in the knees of the jeans.
The important Details that might set #2 apart are underlined above.
1. MOST ATTRACTIVE QUALITY: (smiles, looks friendly, etc.)
2. LEAST ATTRACTIVE QUALITY:
3. INTELLIGENCE & EDUCATION:
4. HABITS (smoker, nervous, etc.)
5. JOB SUBJECT WOULD MOST LIKELY TO DO: (indoor or outdoor)
WHY IS THIS PERSON A SUSPECT? OTHER COMMENTS: