Officer Edward Nero trial: Day 2 recap

What happened on day 2?

» Prosecutors spent much of the second day of Officer Edward Nero's trial trying to prove he was directly involved in Freddie Gray's detention and arrest — at times using Nero's own statement to police investigators.


» At one point Friday, Chief Deputy State's Attorney Michael Schatzow read from a transcript of Nero's statement.

» Nero's account of the arrest had never before been heard publicly.


» Prosecutors also played a video of Nero's interview with detectives. The officer described Gray's arrest and placing him in the van. Nero said he and Miller called for additional units and he retrieved Miller's bike, which he had ditched after the chase.

Breaking News Alerts

As it happens

Be informed of breaking news as it happens and notified about other don't-miss content with our free news alerts.

» Prosectors called three witnesses: Brandon Ross, 31, who was one of two friends with Gray before his arrest; Det. Michael Boyd, a shootings detective who was assigned to the Baltimore Police Department's Force Investigation Team at the time of Gray's arrest, conducted the interview with Nero; Former training director for the Baltimore Police Department Neill Franklin.

What is Officer Nero's case about?

Nero is not charged in Gray's death, but is accused of putting him into a dangerous situation. He is charged with second-degree assault and misconduct related to Gray's arrest, and reckless endangerment and a second count of misconduct stemming from the way Gray was loaded into the van.

The trial also involves allegations that Nero failed to care for Gray when he did not secure him with a seat belt in the back of the arrest van, where Gray ultimately suffered a fatal spine injury.

Gray had run from the officers in what they have described as a high-crime area. Gray, 25, suffered severe spinal cord injuries while in the back of the van, prosecutors say, and died a week later.

How can I follow the proceedings?

The Sun is hosting a live blog with updates throughout the proceedings. In Maryland, trials are not televised.