Use Code BALT69 for a $69 Ticket to One Day University on July 9

Man, paralyzed in shooting but later convicted in a robbery, dies from injuries

Baltimore's most recent homicide victim was shot and paralyzed in 2001, with complications from that shooting leading to his death this week in a Western Maryland prison. 

Anthony Diggs was shot in the 2600 block of E. Monument St. on March 17, 2001. According to police, he and a friend were sitting in a vehicle at the intersection of North Lakewood Avenue and East Monument Streets when they got into an argument with a man who pulled a handgun and started shooting. 

Diggs was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital, where it was determined he had been paralyzed from a gunshot wound to the upper back. 

Seven years later, Diggs was charged in October 2008 with the armed robbery of a man at Wisteria and Hamlett avenues in Northeastern Baltimore, according to court records and his attorney. 

The same Diggs who was paralyzed in a shooting seven years earlier?

That's correct, according to his attorney, Warren Brown. He said that Diggs, though unable to move from the waist down, was the driver of a disabled-equipped Cadillac used as a getaway vehicle when two other men committed the robbery. Police were nearby when the robbery occurred and arrested the suspects on the scene.

"He never got out - the two guys got out, and held up the victim," Brown said.

Police records show that one of the co-defendants told police that the men were driving around and drinking, and "ran out of drinking money and stated that the next person they see they are going to rob," according to a police report. Gerard McDaniel told police that Diggs reached under the driver's seat and gave him a handgun, which he used to rob Mark Stanley, records show.

Diggs received a sentence of 20 years, with all but 10 suspended. That was a more significant sentence than his co-defendants - Randy Sharpe, who had an injury of his own at the time with his arm was in a sling, got 14 years with seven suspended, and McDaniel got 15 years with all but five years suspended.

Corrections officials confirmed that Diggs was being held at the Western Correctional Institution in Cumberland, which has a wheelchair unit. 

Relatives of Diggs - reached by telephone Wednesday - declined to comment. 

According to police, Diggs' 2001 shooting remains unsolved.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad