Kinyua indicted on attempted murder charge in baseball bat beating

The Morgan State University student charged with dismembering a friend and eating his heart and part of his brain was indicted Thursday on an attempted first-degree murder charge in the beating of another victim who was bludgeoned with a baseball bat.

A grand jury also indicted 21-year-old Alexander Kinyua on charges of attempted second-degree murder. two counts of assault and using a deadly weapon with intent to injure. The suspect is being held without bail in Harford County on a first-degree murder charge in connection with the killing.

Morgan State University police had initially charged Kinyua only with first-degree assault and reckless endangerment in connection with the baseball bat attack that occurred in a campus dorm room on May 19.

The victim of the beating, Joshua Ceasar, who had been a friend of Kinyua's and said he was bludgeoned without warning when he visited the dorm room, questioned last week why police had not charged Kinyua with attempted murder right after the attack.

His friends told him that Kinyua stood over Ceasar's prone body holding a knife when they pushed him out of the way, and that his injuries included the loss of sight in one eye.

Ceasar and his attorney said that a stiffer charge might have prompted the District Court judge set a higher bail that could've kept Kinyua in jail before the killing occurred. The judge set bail at $220,000 on the assault charge and Kinyua was freed May 23.

Two days later, Kujoe Bonsafo Agyei-Kodie, 37, was reported missing from a house owned by Kinyua's father in Harford County. Five days later, Kinyua's brother found two hands and a head in a tin, and police found the rest of Agyei-Kodie's remains in a trash bin at a nearby church. Police charged Kinyua in the killing and said he ate some of the victim's remains.

A spokesman for the Baltimore State's Attorney's Office said last week that the initial charges filed by Morgan State Police were appropriate given the knowledge at the time. The spokesman said then that more serious charges could be filed later.

The case has attracted national attention because of its gruesome nature and because police, campus leaders and classmates at Morgan had repeated run-ins with Kinyua in the months leading up to the attack.

In December, he was accused of punching seven holes in a campus wall and was described by a military instructor in a police report as a "Virginia Tech waiting to happen." A month later, his talk about human sacrifice at a public forum attended by the school's police chief and president unnerved classmates.

Around that time, Kinyua's Facebook page was growing incresingly hostile, with references to ethnic cleansing, the Virginia Tech massacre and death cults. A police report said he had self-inflicted cuts on his legs deemed "tribal markings."

In early May, students who live in his campus apartment building accused him of breaking a window after accusing someone of spiking his drink. A resident adviser called campus police, saying she was too scared to confront him because he was known to carry a machete. Police responded but did not find a weapon in his apartment.

Kinyua was charged in the baseball beating later that month, and then in the killing.