Officer Caesar Goodson trial: Day 3 recap

What happened Monday?

» Baltimore police Officer William Porter testified. He said there was no indication that Freddie Gray required immediate medical attention while being transported in the back of an arrest van, but he acknowledged that officers could have safely secured the 25-year-old detainee with a seat belt.


» Porter is the second officer charged in the case to be called to testify against a fellow officer with his own charges pending — a rare move allowed after a review by the state's highest court.

» Porter said on the stand Monday that he told Goodson that Gray should be taken to a hospital. But he also said he never observed any serious injury to Gray. After the van's fourth stop — a time when the medical examiner has determined Gray was already seriously injured — Porter said, Gray used his legs to support his weight as Porter helped him up.

» Prosecutors have previously accused Porter of lying, and on Monday played clips of Porter's original statement to investigators to show that his account has changed. Porter said he had merely clarified his original comments and that there was no fundamental change in his account.

The timeline

The prosecution's timeline alleges that Gray was hurt between the second and fourth stops the van made, and Schatzow said in opening statements that Goodson gave Gray a "rough ride," a term for driving the van in a way that tosses the detainee around in the back.

Before the fourth stop, Goodson made an unexplained stop and looked into the back of the van at Gray. Then he radioed for backup, prompting Porter to visit the scene.


Prosecutors on Monday called a neurosurgeon, Dr. Morris Marc Soriano, who said that Gray's injuries between the second and fourth stop, while catastrophic, could have allowed him to continue communicating with police officers at the later stops. At Porter's trial, Soriano said accessory muscles would allow Gray to keep breathing despite his rapidly deteriorating physical condition.

Prosecutors also called Detective Michael Boyd, a member of the Baltimore Police Department's Force Investigation Team that investigated Gray's death. They had Boyd walk through a series of city surveillance videos from the day of Gray's arrest, identifying individuals and the path of the van as it traveled through the city. At one point, prosecutors played a video of Goodson stopping the van and walking to the rear before getting back in and driving off — a stop that lasted seconds.

Boyd was still on the stand when Judge Barry G. Williams excused him, to resume his testimony at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday. Boyd is the state's 14th witness since the trial's start last week.

 More evidence

Before concluding the proceedings, Williams noted that prosecutors submitted evidence Monday that they had not previously shared with the defense. The move followed a motion filed by the defense last week calling for dismissal of the case after learning prosecutors had never turned over evidence about a meeting they had last year with a key witness in the case, Donta Allen. Allen was the arrestee placed in the back of the van with Gray during the final leg of Gray's transport.

Defense lawyers are now reviewing the latest information to see whether they need to file any additional motions, Williams said. He did not set a time frame for that decision.