Multiple calls were made to police before two kids were shot in Annapolis

Multiple calls were made to Annapolis police regarding harassment of a neighbor before two kids were shot Saturday evening, police said Monday.

At 6:07 p.m., officers responded to 140 Obery Court for a disorderly complaint from 41-year-old John Estep. He said a group of juveniles was banging on his door but left before officers arrived. Estep was given an incident number for the call, Annapolis Police Capt. Amy Miguez said.


Slightly more than an hour later, around 7:12 p.m., officers received an anonymous call from a woman who said that a group of juveniles was kicking her neighbor’s door and harassing the neighbor, Miguez said.

Then, at 7:19 p.m., officers were called to the area for a possible home invasion, according to Annapolis police. After the initial calls, police said there were multiple calls reporting that two children had been shot.


When officers arrived, they found a 14-year-old boy and a 10-year-old girl suffering from gunshot wounds nearby, in the unit block of Monument Street. The boy was shot in his lower extremity and was later released from the hospital; the girl suffered a gunshot wound to the lower back. She is in the hospital in stable condition, police said Monday.

Estep said the juveniles were yelling threats at him and he feared for his safety, according to charging documents. Then an individual kicked his door down and entered his home. At that point, Estep fired shots at the boy’s lower extremities, according to charging documents. He said he also fired shots through his window at a group of subjects, left his home and fired warning shots into the ground as he got into his car and left.

Miguez said police found evidence consistent with breaking and entering on Estep’s door. They also found 22 spent shell casings inside the home, along with one on the porch and one farther outside, but police are not sure if that was connected to this shooting.

Police believe Estep went beyond the protection of his home and that he is responsible for every shot that was fired, Miguez said.

“The number of casings indicate that Estep had to reload his weapon and there’s video surveillance we are still recovering that shows the juveniles immediately fled the area when the shots started,” Miguez said. “When people are fleeing there is no longer an imminent danger. The fact that there was damage to his walls and windows indicates he was shooting where he couldn’t see, which is reckless endangerment.”

Police are investigating the incident and have not decided whether charges will be brought against any juveniles in this case.

“It is hard to say victim/suspect on both sides of this case. It seems like a chaotic situation that happened and was really unfortunate,” Miguez said.

Since Jan. 1, one vacant unit in the neighborhood has been burglarized several times and neighbors have said juveniles were involved, Miguez said. Police are unsure if those incidents are related to the one that took place Saturday. .


Breaking News Alerts

As it happens

Be informed of breaking news as it happens and notified about other don't-miss content with our free news alerts.

Annapolis Police said Sunday that Estep turned himself into police without incident. He also turned in the weapon used in this incident, a 9 mm handgun that was registered to him.

Estep is facing seven charges, including two counts of reckless endangerment, first-degree assault and intent to injure with a dangerous weapon. He also faces one charge for a loaded handgun.

Estep was released on his own recognizance, according to online court records. A public defender is listed for him online.

Annapolis Mayor Gavin Buckley said he is counting on the police to conduct a thorough investigation into this incident.


“The investigation may take a little time, because there is both ballistics and video evidence to process,” Buckley said. “The suspect is participating with investigators and I am thankful for his cooperation.”