Church Creek Elementary School was evacuated briefly Friday morning while firefighters investigated a possible gas leak.
Around 8 a.m., the school's chief custodian reported an odor of gas in the boiler room at the school at 4299 Church Creek Road, according to Lindsay Bilodeau, communications specialsit for Harford County Public Schools.
Per the school system's normal procedures, the building was immediately evacuated and the fire department, BGE and school system facilities crews were notified to respond to the school, Bilodeau wrote in an email.
It was determined that a pilot light was out in one of the boilers. It was shut down and a second boiler was activated. The building was deemed safe and staff and students were given the all clear to reenter around 9 a.m.
Normal operations have resumed and the school day is underway, Bilodeau said.