Suspect in death of Pikesville couple found with note: 'I am sorry'

A note was found with the Pikesville man wanted in connection with his grandparents' death that read, "I am sorry for everything. Please forgive me," police said Tuesday.

Matthew Long, 31, who was found unresponsive in a hotel room in Weatherford, Okla., on Sept. 11, was transported from an Oklahoma City hospital to the local county jail and is in the custody of the Oklahoma County sheriff's office, according to a spokeswoman for Integris Baptist Medical Center.

Baltimore County police were en route to Oklahoma to interview Long on Tuesday afternoon, said Elise Armacost, a police spokeswoman. Long is a suspect in the deaths of his grandparents, Vaughn Pepper, 87, and Marjorie Pepper, 85.

The Peppers were found dead in their Sudbrook Park home Sept. 10, after a neighbor called to ask police to check on the couple. Long lived with his grandparents at their home in the 800 block of Olmstead Road.

Capt. Todd Doyals of the Weatherford, Okla., Police Department said Long overdosed after he took several prescription medicines. He was found at the Travel Inn in Weatherford, about 70 miles from Oklahoma City.

Next to his wallet was the unsigned note, Doyals said.

Police responded to the hotel after a Travel Inn employee found Long unresponsive, Doyals said. The employee was checking on Long when he failed to leave the hotel on time. The hotel offers rooms for $54.99 a night.

Doyals said Long drove his grandparents' 2009 Mercury Grand Marquis to the Weatherford hotel from Maryland. Long was caught on a surveillance video withdrawing money from a Pikesville bank while driving the Peppers' car.

A police search warrant affidavit, obtained by the Associated Press in Oklahoma, said the Peppers suffered trauma to their heads. Police found a weapon they believe was used in their deaths at the couple's home, the affidavit said.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad