* The Greater Chesapeake and Potomac Region of the American Red Cross is requesting blood donations. Eligible donors can call 800-GIVE-LIFE to schedule an appointment. Platelet donors should call 800-272-2123.
* There will be a Red Cross blood drive 8 a.m. to noon Dec. 6 at Emmanuel United Methodist Church, 10755 Scaggsville Road, Laurel. For information about the blood drive or to schedule an appointment, call 1-800-272-2123 or go to eumclaurel.org. Use sponsor code 13952.
* A blood drive will be held from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Laurel Regional Hospital, the J.R. Jones Conference Room, 7300 Van Dusen Road, Laurel. Call to schedule an appointment at 301-497-7914.
* Ellicott City residents Bernie and Connie Dancel and the Dancel Family Foundation recently presented $250,000 to the Howard Hospital Foundation to help fund Howard County General Hospital's cardiopulmonary gym at the hospital's Outpatient Center. The gym is part of HCGH's $105 million campus development plan. The gym is designed for cardiac rehabilitation patients and features a cushioned walking track and high-tech digital exercise equipment, including state-of-the-art treadmills and bikes and fully equipped locker rooms.
* The Howard Hospital Foundation received $100,000 from the W.R. Grace Foundation as the final installment of a $500,000 pledge. The gift is slated for HCGH's campus development plan. The foundation makes financial donations to charitable organizations and educational institutions in the United States and Canada. Founded in 1992, the Howard Hospital Foundation is a private, nonprofit organization entrusted to provide philanthropic support of HCGH.