Carbon monoxide detected at troubled townhouse complex


Baltimore county firefighters detected dangerous carbon monoxide levels late Monday in a unit at Cove Village Townhomes, a community that has been beset by carbon monoxide leaks. It was the 31st call this year from Cove Village about carbon monoxide. Elise Armacost, a Fire Department spokeswoman, said firefighters detected levels of 40 parts per million in the home. The department recommends evacuation at levels of 100 ppm, and considers it a "medical alert" at 35 ppm. The latest alert came when a mother of two called authorities to say that her carbon monoxide detector had gone off while she was cooking and that she felt ill. The 299-unit complex owned by Sawyer Realty Holdings has a history of carbon monoxide problems. In 2005, three members of the Wiley family died of carbon monoxide poisoning in the complex. Howard Libit, a Sawyer representative, said the incident was under review. BGE spokeswoman Linda Foy said inspectors determined that an oversized pot on the stove had caused a buildup of carbon monoxide.

- Nick Madigan

6-car crash on I-795 closes highway 2 hours


A northbound vehicle that crossed a grassy median and hit five southbound cars closed southbound Interstate 795 for two hours Tuesday, state police said. Police identified the driver of the northbound 1999 Lexus 300 as Antonio Martinez, 44, of Owings Mills. He was in good condition at Maryland Shock Trauma Center. The other drivers were identified as: Douglas A. Rill, 55, of Upperco, who refused treatment at the scene; John Adams Jr., 49, of Reisterstown, who was taken to Sinai Hospital with injuries that were not considered life-threatening; Damon E. Secoski, 33, of Hanover, Pa., who refused treatment at the scene; Amanda B. Goodacre, 27, of Westminster, who was taken to Carroll Hospital Center for injuries not considered life-threatening; and Danielle M. Goodnow, 26, a state police crime scene technician.

- Baltimore Sun staff

Howard adopts restriction on indoor tanning beds


Starting Thursday, teenagers may no longer use indoor tanning beds in Howard County without a doctor's prescription under a health regulation adopted unanimously Tuesday night by the Howard County Board of Health. County health officials said the move makes Howard County the first jurisdiction in the nation to adopt such a ban, though other jurisdictions, including Baltimore County, are considering similar rules.

- Larry Carson

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad