Cosmic Cocktail in 2 weeks: Get your ticket today before they sell out.



Frederick Co. woman killed in head-on crash


A 51-year-old Frederick County woman was killed in a head-on collision Saturday afternoon on Route 26 at Old Liberty Road, state police said. Police said Patricia Marie Ryan was killed when the car she was driving east on Route 26 crossed the center line and collided with a pickup truck, causing the truck to overturn. Ryan was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver of the truck, Alfonso Contreras Balderas, 32, of Frederick County and two passengers were taken to Washington County Hospital, where they were treated for injuries that were not considered life-threatening, police said. Part of Route 26 was shut down for about three hours Saturday afternoon.

-Lorraine Mirabella

Search for 11-year-old girl lost overboard resumes

Rescuers resumed the search Saturday for an 11-year-old girl who fell from a boat into the Sassafras River in Kent County Friday afternoon. The girl was sitting in the bow of a 22-foot powerboat near Ordinary Point in Kennedyville about 4:30 p.m. Friday when it hit a tugboat wake and tossed her overboard, Maryland Natural Resources Police Sgt. Art Windemuth said. "It threw her out of the bow and into the water and she went missing," he said. Police have not released the name of the girl, who was boating with her family. The Coast Guard, Natural Resources Police and area fire companies searched until 11:30 p.m. Friday, when the search was suspended to give rescuers a break, Windemuth said. They resumed the effort with sonar equipment and search dogs at first light Saturday.

-Laura Vozzella

Boater critical after fuel vapors ignite in Cecil Co.

A New Jersey man was in critical condition with severe burns after fuel vapor from a boat engine ignited at a Cecil County marina Friday evening, state fire officials said. Jim Stillwaugh, 57, of Broadway, N.J., was adjusting engine valves on a 31-foot boat at Hacks Point Marina about 7 p.m. when vapors that had built up in the engine compartment ignited, causing what authorities called a "flash" fire. Stillwaugh suffered first-, second- and third-degree burns to his face, neck, arms and legs, the Maryland fire marshal's office said. He was flown by state police helicopter to the Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center burn unit, where he initially was listed in critical condition. A Bayview nursing supervisor had no new information about his condition Saturday.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad