* The Howard County Young Widows and Widowers will meet from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday at Jilly's in the Enchanted Forest Shopping Center, 10300 Baltimore National Pike, Ellicott City. The social and support group meets the first Tuesday of each month. All are welcome; information is available from 410-740-5858.
* Laurel Regional Hospital will hold its Senior Dining and Lecture from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday. Louis A. Nistler, executive director and chief executive officer of the Parkinson Foundation of the National Capital Area, will speak on the foundation's programs and services. The event will be held in the J. Russell Jones Room at the hospital; the fee is $1 per participant. Registration, which is required, is available by calling 301-497-7914.
* Support for People with Oral and Head and Neck Cancer, or SPOHNC, will hold its next meeting from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Wednesday in the Pavilion II conference room at Johns Hopkins Green Spring Station, 10755 Falls Road, Lutherville. Dr. Nishant Agrawal will discuss "intriguing and novel ideas for treating cancer in the future." SPOHNC, for patients and caregivers, meets on the second Wednesday of each month; more information is available by calling Kim at 410-955-1176 or Dwayne at 717-615-7464.
* Howard County General Hospital in Columbia will celebrate the opening of the new Patient Pavilion with a free community health fair from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday rain or shine on the hospital parking lot. The event will include screenings for arthritis, blood pressure, skin analysis, diabetes, stroke and asthma and information on cancer services, emergency medical services, physical therapy and smoking cessation. More information is available by calling 410-740-7810 or visiting hcgh.org.
* The ThyCa support group for patients with thyroid cancer will meet from 10:30 a.m. to noon Saturday at the Alvin & Lois Lapidus Cancer Institute at Sinai Hospital, 2401 W. Belvedere Ave. More information and registration are available by calling 410-601-9355.