players to watch
* Calvert Hall, shortstop
* The Wake Forest-bound senior and last season's All-Metro Player of the Year led the Cardinals in batting (.462), hits (43), runs (35), RBIs (34), triples (five), home runs (seven) and stolen bases (21-for-25).
* Marriotts Ridge, pitcher
* Coming off a 10-1 season, the senior will begin the season at second base because of injury. The hope is that he will be back on the mound by midseason.
* St. Paul's, third base
* The Wake Forest-bound senior hit .386 last year after setting school records for hits (49) and RBIs (44) as a sophomore.
* Hammond, pitcher
* A preseason All-State pick, the junior struck out 70 in 49 innings last season and batted .467.
* Centennial, pitcher-first baseman
* He batted .392, with four home runs, 20 RBIs and 19 runs scored. The senior went 4-1 with a 0.93 ERA.
* C. Milton Wright, pitcher
* The senior left-hander had a 0.39 ERA last season. He can locate his fastball and throws a curve for strikes.
* A second-team All-Metro selection last season, the senior batted .431 and returns to pitching a year after elbow surgery. He was 2-0, with 22 strikeouts in 18 innings as a sophomore.
* Arundel, third baseman
* The senior hit .363 with a .543 slugging percentage, 15 RBIs and 13 stolen bases last season. He will be slowed early by a shoulder injury.
* Archbishop Spalding, catcher
* A blue-collar player, Palmer gets the most out of his skills. The four-year varsity player has committed to Saint Joseph's in Philadelphia.
* Dunbar, infielder
* The senior led the state in hitting as a sophomore (.545) and was in the top 10 last year (.502).
OTHER NOTABLES: Darrell "Boom" Anderson, St. Frances; Eric Aumann, South River; Nick Benges, North County; Mike Bronakoski, North County; Tyler Clark, Hammond; Justin Cohen, Old Mill; Max Cooke, Gilman; Stephen Cooke, Archbishop Curley; Jason Creighton, Loch Raven; Tyler Drinkard, Northeast; David Elbsworth, North Harford; Blake Geiger, Calvert Hall; Robbie Harris, Cardinal Gibbons; Craig Howser, Mount St. Joseph; Matt Jackson, Archbishop Spalding; Joey Jones, Eastern Tech; Stephen Kahl, Marriotts Ridge; Andrew Keiser, Park School; Stephen Kovalesky, Digital Harbor; Austin Lasky, Friends; Kevin Loftis, South River; Jordan Lozzi, Fallston; Brad Markey, C. Milton Wright; Randy Marshall, Kenwood; Paul Mellinger, Boys' Latin; Shaun Merson, North County; Taylor Nelson, Fallston; Andrew Parker, Cardinal Gibbons; Nathan Pitts, Digital Harbor; Mark Quaranta, Loyola; Alex Ramsey, Severna Park; Eric Ryan, Patapsco; Bobby Sanzone, Mount Carmel; Sam Stefanelli, Pallotti; Dino Stevens, North County; Mike Trionfo, Calvert Hall; Dave Turner, Severna Park; Sam Wachs, Severn; Christian Wolfe, John Carroll