players to watch
* Mount Hebron, attack
* Headed for Florida, Bruns has emerged as not only a big scorer but also a nifty passer. The senior finished last season with 60 goals and 31 assists and has the competitive drive to lead her team.
* McDonogh, midfield
* With blazing speed, the Florida-bound All-Metro senior sparks a potent transition offense. Cullen had 26 goals and 14 assists in a balanced attack but was most dangerous off her 58 ground balls.
* John Carroll, midfield
* Also signed with Florida, Dashiell is known for her poise under pressure. That should help her lead a young team and emerge as an offensive force, easily building on her 32 goals and 10 assists of a year ago.
* South River, midfield
* A versatile two-way player who can do whatever the Seahawks need, the quick junior had 59 goals, 23 assists, 22 caused turnovers, 42 ground balls and 70 draw controls last season.
* Archbishop Spalding, goalie
* Last season's All-Metro keeper, the senior posted a 60 percent save rate and allowed about nine goals per game. Headed for Johns Hopkins, she had her best outings in the biggest games.
* Notre Dame Prep, midfield
* The All-Metro senior headed for Virginia is one of the most versatile players around. She had 48 goals and 10 assists last season but was equally effective on defense and in the midfield (63 ground balls).
* McDonogh, midfield
* Another Florida-bound senior, Rhea is part of a balanced, veteran midfield. Tough to stop in transition or on settled offenses, she had 25 goals and 10 assists and won 67 ground balls last season.
* Bel Air, midfield
* A force on the draw, the senior also had 61 goals and 11 assists last season. Salamone, who is headed for Duke, has a tough shot to defend and is also the key to setting up the Bobcats' attack.
* St. Paul's, defense
* Skilled and speedy with a strong competitive drive, the Maryland-bound senior is tough to beat on defense, but her wide range of skills also allows her to run the midfield and get in on the attack.
* Century, midfield
* In three years, the All-Metro senior has scored 201 goals, including 94 last season - 54 more than anyone else in Carroll County. A versatile player bound for Maryland, she also had 92 ground balls.
OTHER NOTABLES: Kathleen Barranco, Severna Park; Liza Blue, Garrison Forest; Kelsi Bozel, Notre Dame Prep; Claire Brady, Century; Cara Canington, C. Milton Wright; Katie Chase, Glenelg; Mackenzie Cyr, Winters Mill; Sam Farrell, Severna Park; Molly Fernandez, McDonogh; Emily Fine, Pikesville; Monica Fischer, Fallston; Caroline Franke, Severn; Beth Glaros, Wilde Lake; Aubrey Green, Mount Hebron; Selena Guerrero-Martin, Poly; Julia Heaps, North Harford; Hannah Hook, Severn; Casey Howard, Broadneck; Haydon Judge, St. Mary's; Katie Kiriazoglou, John Carroll; Danielle Kirk, Archbishop Spalding; Kim Kolarik, South River; Nicole Lacey, Marriotts Ridge; Sarah Lloyd, Severna Park; Brooke Martin, Dulaney; Amanda Matthews, Centennial; Katie Matz, McDonogh; Sarah Matz, Bryn Mawr; Libby Nichols, Friends; Brittany Pastrana, Annapolis; Roxie Raab, Fallston; Marta Randall, Hereford; Julie Schindel, St. Mary's; Caroline Seats, Roland Park; Abby Sneeringer, Catonsville; Kayla Stolins, Loch Raven; McKenzie Stough, Reservoir; Annie Thomas, Bryn Mawr; Sophia Thomas, Maryvale; Chelsea Thompson, Broadneck; Amalie Trentzsch, Winters Mill