2 missing teens are found
Two 16-year-old Anne Arundel County girls who had been missing for more than a week have been found, police said yesterday. Ramona Jones and Shannon Brewer were found together in Prince George's County by Prince George's police, Anne Arundel County police said. The girls were found about 11:30 p.m. Monday near Columbia Park Road and East Marlboro Avenue in Landover, and were safely returned to their families, police said. The girls had disappeared after leaving Arundel High School on March 9.
Veterans Hwy. gas leak repairs are completed
Crews finished repairing a broken gas main that had forced the closure of part of Veterans Highway in Millersville last night, according to the Anne Arundel County Fire Department. Contractors struck a high-pressure gas line about noon, causing a steady stream of natural gas to shoot about 30 feet into the air, said Battalion Chief Matthew Tobia. Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. employees dug down to the pipe, shut off the gas supply and repaired the broken portion of the pipe.
3 men shot at carryout on Greenmount Ave.
Three men were shot late last night inside an Asian carryout in the Better Waverly neighborhood, authorities said. No arrest had been made. When Northern District police responded to shots fired in the carryout in the 2900 block of Greenmount Ave. shortly after 10 p.m., they found one man lying on the pavement outside the store and two others inside, police said. At least two of the three men, who were not identified, had been shot in the head, police said. Two victims were taken by city Fire Department ambulances to Johns Hopkins Hospital, and the third was taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center. Their conditions were not available. City homicide detectives were investigating the shootings.
Southwest Baltimore fire victims identified
Two victims of a deadly house fire Monday night in the Ten Hills section of Southwest Baltimore have been identified as a mother, 83, and her son, about 40, according to a spokesman for the city Fire Department. Chief Kevin Cartwright, the spokesman, said a preliminary investigation indicated the single-alarm fire started in a first-floor bedroom and was blamed on careless smoking. Alma Chernowski and her son, Joseph, were removed from the burning home in the 500 block of Overdale Road near Woodside Road shortly before 10 p.m. by firefighters and pronounced dead a short time later at St. Agnes Hospital.