The Baltimore Sun

Howard superintendent to get human rights honor

Howard County schools Superintendent Sydney L. Cousin will be honored by the county's Human Rights Commission as the recipient of the 2008 Human Rights Award. Cousin will be honored at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Slayton House, 10451 Twin Rivers Road in Columbia. The ceremony is open to the public. "I'm honored to receive this prestigious award," said Cousin, 63, who was appointed superintendent in July 2004. The commission also will honor the late Leola M. Dorsey, a longtime member of the NAACP and the Howard Community College board of trustees. Dorsey died last February. In addition to being the first African-American superintendent of the county school system, Cousin was recognized because of his stated goal of closing the achievement gap, said C. Vernon Gray, administrator for the Office of Human Rights. "He's a fine gentleman and an outstanding educator," Gray said. "His commitment to children and to education is exemplary." According to the commission, the award honors people who have made personal sacrifices in contributing to human and civil rights in Howard County. The distinction recognizes citizenship, leadership and achievement in eliminating or eradicating discrimination, while advancing human rights. Cousin will receive a plaque, and his name will be engraved on another plaque in the George Howard Building in Ellicott City.

John-John Williams IV

City police investigate homicide in Northeast

A male in his teen or early 20s was shot to death last night near the Alameda Shopping Center in Northeast Baltimore. Police had not made an arrest and knew of no motive, said a police spokesman. The name of the victim was withheld pending notification of family members. Agent Donny Moses, the spokesman, said that shortly after 10 p.m., Northeastern District police responding to at least one shot fired in an alley in the 5600 block of Sagra Road near Cochran Avenue found the victim lying on the pavement, bleeding from a bullet wound to the head, Moses said. Despite efforts by city Fire Department medics, the victim was pronounced dead at the scene moments later. Moses said the victim was taken to the state medical examiner's office for an autopsy and possible recovery of the bullet that killed him.

Richard Irwin

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad