Veteran among victims of violence in Northeast

The Baltimore Sun

City detectives were investigating two recent homicides in Northeast Baltimore, including the fatal stabbing of a 62-year-old man in the Westfield neighborhood last week and a weekend shooting outside a nightclub in Armistead Gardens.

The Northeast District, geographically the largest of the city's nine police districts, has accounted for nearly a third of this year's 31 homicides, records show.

Neighbors were still reeling from the death of Daniel Lee Hoeck, a recipient of two Purple Hearts and identified by police yesterday as the man found fatally stabbed in his home Thursday afternoon. On his street, he was known as "Mr. Dan," a friendly man who could often be seen taking walks and feeding neighbors' dogs but who in recent years had been less visible as his health declined.

"Everyone is just devastated," neighbor Kim Green said.

Agent Donny Moses, a police spokesman, said a relative called 911 about 12:20 p.m. Thursday to report what was believed to be a shooting at Hoeck's home in the 6100 block of Glenoak Ave. Emergency responders determined that Hoeck had been stabbed multiple times, and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Records show that Hoeck, a retired engineer, owned the home for more than 20 years and had no criminal history. Reached at home, a brother-in-law declined to comment, but a death notice in yesterday's Baltimore Sun described Hoeck as a former Marine who served two tours of duty in Vietnam and received two Purple Hearts.

Moses said investigators had no suspects and knew of no motive for the killing.

About 1:45 a.m. Saturday, police responded to a shooting outside of Whitten's, a club on Erdman Avenue, and found 30-year-old Michael K. Davis suffering from a gunshot wound to the head, Moses said. There had been an altercation outside the bar before the shooting, police said.

Initial reports were that Davis, of the 4900 block of Barbara Ave., was taken to a hospital and was in critical condition, but Moses said yesterday that he was pronounced dead at the scene by medics.

Court records show that Davis pleaded guilty to two counts of conspiracy in 2003 and received a 20-year prison sentence, 14 years of which were suspended. Family members could not be reached for comment.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad