The Baltimore Sun

Man, 26, is found shot, killed in South Baltimore

A 26-year-old Baltimore man was found shot and killed early Saturday in South Baltimore. Police were called to the 1200 block of Bayard St. at 12:20 a.m. for a report of gunshots and found Jaiwan C. Jones slumped over the central console of an Infiniti truck, said Agent Donny Moses, a city police spokesman. Jones, whose last known address was the 800 block of Washington Blvd., was pronounced dead at the scene. No suspect or motive was known, Moses said.

Hanah Cho

Double shooting injures two men in Edgewood

State police are investigating a double shooting in Edgewood early Sunday that critically injured two men. The men were acquainted and were involved in a dispute, police said yesterday. The men were shot by different people with different guns at a home in the 1600 block of Candlewood Court, where one of them, Anthony Tyrone Lucas, 23, lives, according to police. Lucas and Fernando J. Smith, 19, of Montford Avenue in Baltimore, were taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where they remained in critical condition yesterday, police said. Metro Crime Stoppers is offering up to a $2,000 reward for information that might lead to the arrest of those responsible for the crime.

Mary Gail Hare

Man changing a tire is hit and killed; 2nd man hurt

A man who was changing a tire on the Baltimore-Washington Parkway was struck and killed by a sport utility vehicle Sunday night, according to State Police. Roberto Victor Guerra, 21, of Washington died of his injuries. He and Oscar Javier Blanco were changing a tire of a Toyota Sienna on northbound Maryland 295, south of Interstate 695, about 11:15 p.m. when they were struck by a Lincoln Navigator, police said. Blanco, 20, also of Washington, was in critical condition yesterday at Maryland Shock Trauma Center. Police said the Lincoln was driven by Sean Williams Sayles, 35, of Baltimore. Police said the Lincoln sideswiped the Sienna, which was on the left shoulder and partially in a lane. Police were investigating.

Hanah Cho

Woman killed in collision in White Marsh identified

Yesterday, Baltimore County police identified the driver who was killed in a two-vehicle collision Sunday evening in White Marsh as Victoria Clement, 39, of Parkville. The second driver, Robert Distler Jr., 16, who suffered a concussion and abrasions, was released from Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center yesterday and was resting at his Lutherville home, said his father, Robert Distler. Shortly after 5 p.m., Clement was heading east on White Marsh Boulevard near the U.S. 1 overpass and lost control of her vehicle, crossed into the westbound lane and hit another vehicle, authorities said. The impact caused the westbound vehicle to come to rest against a guardrail. Distler said his son, who attends Loyola Blakefield, was driving home from a club league lacrosse tournament at Freestate Sports Arena in White Marsh.

Hanah Cho

Police search for missing Baltimore teenager

Baltimore police were searching yesterday for a teenager who had been missing since Thursday. James Hodge Jr., 16, of the 4200 block of Doris Ave. was last seen when his father dropped him off for school at Baltimore City College high school. He was wearing a light brown coat, blue jeans and brown boots and is about 5 feet 10 inches tall and 160 pounds, police said. Anyone with information was asked to call 410-396-2499 or 911.

Tyeesha Dixon

Fort McHenry Tunnel evacuated as car burns

Travelers in the northbound tube of the Fort McHenry Tunnel were evacuated from their vehicles yesterday evening after a vehicle caught fire, police said. The fire occurred about 5:15 p.m., and the people traveling behind it left their cars and walked out of the tunnel so crews could extinguish the fire, Maryland Transportation Authority Police spokesman Cpl. Robert Thibodeau said. Police patrol vehicles and vans came to the scene to allow people to sit inside them while the crews worked, he said. The cause of the fire was under investigation.

Tyeesha Dixon

Thousands of tons of ore lifted from grounded ship

Several thousand metric tons of iron ore were removed yesterday from a cargo ship that ran aground Saturday in the Chesapeake Bay just north of Annapolis, the U.S. Coast Guard said. About 20,000 metric tons of the ship's cargo was being removed to lighten and refloat the ship, which was grounded near Gibson Island and stuck in a "muddy bottom," Coast Guard spokesman Chris McLaughlin said. The 800-foot Bahamian CSL Argosy, with a pilot onboard, was inbound to Baltimore when it went aground about 11 a.m. The cause of the grounding was under investigation yesterday, according to the Coast Guard. On Sunday, crews had removed 8,000 metric tons of the iron ore to a barge, according to the Coast Guard.

Tyeesha Dixon

Firefighters extinguish Beretta gun plant blaze

Firefighters extinguished a fire yesterday at the Beretta gun manufacturing plant in the Accokeek area of Prince George's County. It took firefighters from Prince George's and Charles counties more than 90 minutes to put out the fire, which occurred about 5 a.m. About 70 firefighters and paramedics were on the scene at one point, authorities said. Part of the plant's roof collapsed while firefighters were fighting the blaze, officials said. No injuries were reported. Mark Brady, chief spokesman for the Prince George's County fire department, said the cause of the fire was under investigation.

The Washington Post

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad