The Baltimore Sun

CO poisoning kills two in East Baltimore

Baltimore firefighters discovered two people killed by carbon monoxide poisoning in East Baltimore, according to a city fire spokesman. Firefighters responded to a 911 call reporting two people unconscious in a garage in the rear of the 2300 block of Belair Road at 5:20 a.m. Monday, Chief Kevin Cartwright said. The man and woman used a portable space heater hooked up to a gasoline-powered generator, Cartwright said. The two might have been overwhelmed by the fumes, fallen asleep and entered a deeper state of unconsciousness before dying, he said. According to the Baltimore City Health Department, more than two dozen city residents have been sent to the hospital because of carbon monoxide exposure in their homes since 2005. Five of these hospitalizations occurred this month.

Liz F. Kay

Harford moves to aid people facing foreclosure

Harford County, faced with a 13 percent increase in mortgage foreclosures, is offering residents counseling, a property tax deferral program and legal assistance to avoid losing their homes. "We must take action to let citizens know help is available and where they can get it," County Executive David R. Craig said Tuesday. Four U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development certified counselors, who attended Craig's news conference, worked with 84 homeowners last month, advising them on their rights and interceding with lenders to find manageable payment optionsThe county's Department of Law will continue to assist the Housing Agency to deter foreclosures and to identify mortgage scams. Homeowners who have fallen behind on property tax payments can enroll in a deferred tax program with the county's Department of Treasury. Applications will be available early next year. Information: 877-462-7555.

Mary Gail Hare

Renovated Blob's Park in Jessup to reopen

Blob's Park, a German beer garden in Jessup where generations gathered to dance the polka and enjoy traditional food and brews, will soon reopen under new management. The building's exterior and interior have been renovated, said new owner Max Eggrel, who hopes to open as soon as New Year's Eve. The hall, which first opened in 1933, closed about a year ago after the owner, John Eggrel, Max Eggrel's older brother, decided to retire. About 1,000 condominiums and townhouses are planned for construction on the 268-acre parcel of land that surrounds Blob's Park in a partnership with the family and a developer. Max Eggrel, the great-nephew of founder Max Blob, has leased the beer garden property from a family trust and hopes to run the beer garden for at least three years until the land is developed. Blob's Park is one of four sites in Anne Arundel County that could eligible to be built as a slots parlor, but Eggrel said there are currently no plans for slots.

Julie Scharper

Flammable material forces Linganore High evacuation

A high school in Ijamsville dismissed students early after the discovery that a male student brought a flammable material to school and planned to use it. Frederick County school system spokeswoman Marita Loose says students attending Linganore High at Oakdale were evacuated to the school stadium about 9 a.m. Administrators had initially planned to allow the students to return to the building for lunch, but decided after further investigation to dismiss students shortly before noon. The student who brought the material to school is expected to be charged. Loose says the flammable material has been secured.

Associated Press

Bowie man gets nearly 6 years in ATM thefts

David Brandford, a 45-year-old Bowie car shop owner, was sentenced yesterday to nearly six years in federal prison for his role in stealing about a dozen ATMs and gutting them of their cash at his company garage. According to the Maryland U.S. attorney's office, Brandford's co-conspirators used stolen construction equipment and vehicles to swipe the automated teller machines from a gas station and various banks and convenience stores through Maryland and Virginia.

Tricia Bishop

Boy tangled in seat belt in critical condition

A 5-year-old Baltimore boy was still in critical condition in a Washington hospital yesterday after he apparently got his neck tangled in a seat belt Monday night while his mother drove on Interstate 95 near the Capitol Beltway, Maryland State Police said. A trooper responded to a 911 call from Yuko Harris, 38, reporting that her child, DeAndre Harris, had a seat belt around his neck, police said. DeAndre was at Children's Hospital yesterday. State police investigators are continuing to investigate, although police say there was no apparent evidence of foul play. DeAndre was not in a child safety seat, said Lt. Carl Miller of the College Park barracks, although a 2-year-old passenger was in a booster seat. The vehicle belongs to DeAndre's uncle, police said.

Liz F. Kay

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad