Secretary of State
* Age: 61
* Experience: U.S. senator for New York, 2001-present; first lady of the United States, 1993-2001; partner, Rose Law Firm, Little Rock, Ark. 1979-1992; associate, Rose Law Firm, 1976-1979; faculty, University of Arkansas Law School, Fayetteville, Ark., 1975; staff attorney, presidential impeachment inquiry, U.S. House Judiciary Committee, 1974; staff attorney, Children's Defense Fund, 1973.
* Education: B.A., political science, Wellesley College, 1969; J.D., Yale Law School, 1973.
Secretary of Defense
Robert M. Gates
* Age: 65
* Experience: Secretary of defense, 2006-present; president, Texas A&M; University, 2002-2006; interim dean, George Bush School of Government and Public Service, Texas A&M; University, 1999-2001; director, CIA, 1991-1993; assistant to the president and deputy national security adviser, 1989-1991; acting director, CIA, 1986-1987; deputy director, CIA, 1986-1989; chairman, National Intelligence Council, 1983-1986; deputy director for intelligence, 1982-1986; director of executive staff, CIA, 1981-1982; staff, National Security Council, 1974-1979; intelligence analyst, CIA, 1966-1974.
Eric Himpton Holder Jr.
* Age: 57
* Experience: Senior legal adviser, Obama campaign, 2007-2008; partner, Covington & Burling LLP, 2001-present; acting U.S. attorney general, 2001; U.S. deputy attorney general, 1997-2001; U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia, 1993-1997; associate judge, Superior Court of the District of Columbia, 1988-1993; trial attorney for the Justice Department's public integrity section, 1976-1988.
* Education: B.A., Columbia University, 1973; J.D., Columbia University, 1976.
National Security Adviser
James Logan Jones
* Age: 64
* Experience: President and chief executive officer of U.S. Chamber of Commerce's Institute for 21st Century Energy, 2007-present; supreme allied commander, Europe, and commander, U.S. European Command, 2003-2006; 32nd commandant, U.S. Marine Corps, 1999-2003; senior military assistant to the secretary of defense, Washington, 1997-1999; commander, 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit, Camp LeJeune, N.C., 1990-1992; battalion commander, 9th Marines, 1st Marine Division, Camp Pendleton, Calif., 1985-1987; Marine Corps Liaison Officer to U.S. Senate, Washington, 1979-1984; company commander, 2nd Battalion, 9th Marines, Okinawa, Japan, 1974-1975; company commander, Marine Barracks, Washington, 1970-1973; platoon and company commander, 2nd Battalion, 3rd Marines, Vietnam, 1967-1968.
* Education: B.S., Georgetown University School of Foreign Service, 1966; National War College, 1985.
Homeland Security Director
* Age: 51
* Experience: Arizona governor, 2003-present; Arizona attorney general, 1999-2003; attorney, Lewis and Roca, 1997-1998; U.S. attorney for Arizona, 1993-1997; partner, Lewis and Roca, 1989-1993; associate, Lewis and Roca, 1984-1989; clerk to Mary Schroeder, 9th U.S Circuit Court of Appeals, 1983-1984.
* Education: B.S., Santa Clara University, 1979; J.D., University of Virginia, 1983.
United Nations Ambassador
* Age: 44
* Experience: Senior foreign policy adviser, Obama presidential campaign, 2008; senior fellow in foreign policy, Brookings Institution, 2002-present; senior adviser for national security affairs, John F. Kerry presidential campaign, 2004; assistant secretary of state for African affairs, 1997-2001; special assistant to the president and senior director for African affairs, National Security Council, 1995-1997; director for international organizations and peacekeeping, National Security Council, 1993-1995; management consultant, McKinsey and Co., 1991-93.
* Education: B.A., history, Stanford University, 1986; M.Phil., international relations, Oxford University, 1988; D.Phil., Oxford University, 1990.