We're flying into London's Gatwick Airport and would love to stay in a B&B; nearby. Can you help?
London's second-busiest airport (after that behemoth, Heathrow) is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year.
VisitBritain.com spokesman Jeremy Viray found a number of inns or B&Bs; near this south-of-central London airport. We further explored each inn's appeal to travelers:
* Rosemead Guest House. This Edwardian-style, nonsmoking guesthouse welcomes pets "by prior arrangement." No airport pickup is offered for travelers, but there is free one-way transportation to the airport for your departure. Single rooms start at 38 pounds (about $56), doubles at 65 pounds. Details: rosemeadguesthouse.co.uk.
* Southbourne Guest House. This Victorian inn features some disabled-friendly accommodations, including a room with roll-in shower, a wheelchair lift and lowered light switches. Free airport transfers are available 12 hours a day, 9:30 a.m.-9:30 p.m. Single rooms from 47 pounds, doubles from 63. Details: southbournegatwick.com.
* The Lawn Guest House. Leaving at an ungodly hour? For travelers with early flights out, this B&B; serves a Continental breakfast from 3 a.m. to 7 a.m. Book a later flight to get the full English breakfast from 7 a.m. to 8:45 a.m. Airport transfers available. Nonsmoking property. Rooms start at 60 pounds. Details: www.lawnguesthouse.co.uk.
* Stanhill Court Hotel. Originally a country estate for an underwriter with Lloyd's of London, Stanhill was constructed in 1881 in the Scottish baronial style. It's still surrounded by many acres of woodland. Afternoon tea is served in the library, and there's a fine-dining restaurant on site. Singles start at 85 pounds, doubles at 99. Details: stanhillcourthotel.co.uk.
* Cumberland House. This small hotel very close to Gatwick offers a gluten-free breakfast in addition to the traditional English and Continental breakfasts. Nonsmoking. Free airport transfers. Singles start at 50 pounds, doubles at 65. Details: cumberlandhs.com.