Cosmic Cocktail in 2 weeks: Get your ticket today before they sell out.


The Baltimore Sun

City man pleads guilty to series of three killings

A 24-year-old Southwest Baltimore man pleaded guilty yesterday to a string of murders in April and May 2007 after a jury convicted him of armed robbery and handgun charges. Patrick D. Wilkes pleaded guilty to shooting and killing Johnny A. James, 25, in the 300 block of S. Bentalou St. on April 18, 2007; Adrian Beasley, 23, in the 1300 block of Herkimer St. on May 5, 2007; and Deandre Salmond in the 500 block of S. Smallwood St. on May 15. "These three murders grew out of turf disputes - over who was allowed to deal drugs" on area street corners," said Margaret T. Burns, a spokeswoman for prosecutors. Under a plea deal with prosecutors, Wilkes of the 200 block of S. Smallwood St. will be sentenced to a 60-year prison term for the three slayings and two armed robberies, one of which helped unravel the cases. Wilkes' cousin, Anthony White, 24, whom court records list at Wilkes' address, also pleaded guilty yesterday to killing Salmond and to a handgun charge. Circuit Judge John N. Prevas sentenced him to 25 years in prison. Another cousin, Antonio White, 25, is scheduled for trial today in the James killing.

Melissa Harris

Man charged in bid to kidnap 7-year-old

A 28-year-old man has been arrested in a carjacking and the attempted kidnapping of a 7-year-old boy last week in White Marsh, Baltimore County police said yesterday. A 59-year-old woman had just placed her grandson in her car when a man approached and demanded the car and child about 12:30 p.m. Thursday in the 5200 block of Campbell Blvd. The woman grabbed the boy from the car, and the man drove away. Detectives spotted the vehicle Monday morning in Baltimore and arrested Thomas Joseph Frazier of the 300 block of Margaret Ave. in Essex, police said. In announcing the arrest, police said that Frazier matched the description of the suspect and was wearing the same clothing the woman described. Frazier is charged with robbery, carjacking, attempted kidnapping, attempted kidnapping of a child under 16 years of age, grand theft of a motor vehicle and grand theft, police said. He was being held at the Baltimore County Detention Center in lieu of $1 million bond.

Baltimore man, 34, is fatally stabbed

A 34-year-old man was fatally stabbed yesterday in Southeast Baltimore in what police believe was a domestic incident. Police were called about 12:30 a.m. to the 100 block of N. Janney St., east of Highlandtown near Eastern Avenue. An officer found Kenneth Ringgold of that address sitting on a sofa, suffering from a stab wound to the chest, police said. He was taken to an area hospital, where he died an hour later. Officer Troy Harris, a police spokesman, said police were interviewing a woman in connection with the slaying. Also last night, police were investigating the fatal shooting of man in the 600 block of N. Clinton St. Details were not available.

Justin Fenton and Richard Irwin

Sentencing postponed in city officer's killing

The sentencing of a man who killed a Baltimore police officer, which had been scheduled for yesterday, has been postponed. Brandon Grimes, 23, of the 800 block of Cator Ave. was convicted in August of first-degree murder and weapons charges in the fatal shooting of Detective Troy Lamont Chesley Sr. Chesley, 34, was killed on the morning of Jan. 9, 2007, as he returned from work to his Forest Park home. Yesterday's sentencing was postponed because a medical evaluation had not been completed. It is now set for Dec. 18.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad