Brady admits 2nd surgery; Chiefs QB Croyle is out

The Baltimore Sun

Injured New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady (right) confirmed for the first time this weekend that he had not one, but two operations on his injured left knee.

In a posting dated Saturday, Brady thanked fans for supporting him "during the challenging times" and confirmed that he had surgery Oct. 6 and again Wednesday.

"The [first] surgery went well and my doctor described my knee as 'rock solid,' " Brady wrote on "Unfortunately, in the week following the surgery, I developed an infection. ... We were proactive with the infection and the doctors went in for a second procedure this past Wednesday to clean and to test the wound. The results of the tests have all been positive and we are very thankful."

The Patriots, citing team policy, have not commented on the injury that knocked Brady out of the opener against the Kansas City Chiefs and ended his season. Brady did not give specifics on the injury.

Chiefs:: Quarterback Brodie Croyle limped off with a sprained left knee against the Titans yesterday, his first game back since he separated his shoulder in the season opener. After the game, Kansas City coach Herm Edwards said Croyle's injury would end his season. Croyle, back after missing four games, was injured on Kansas City's 14th play while throwing a pass early in the second quarter. Croyle has been injured in four of his eight career starts. He is winless as a starter.

Bills:: Power was restored at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Orchard Park, N.Y., after 45 minutes with Buffalo and San Diego having played about 16 minutes of game time. The CBS TV feed was out until 2 p.m., or about five minutes after the power came back on in the stadium. The game, which had been delayed for 15 minutes in the first quarter, resumed with on-field officials keeping time while shouting out the time left on the play clock. That didn't help much, as the teams were penalized once each for delay of game. The electricity had gone out at the stadium about a half-hour before the game after three helium balloons became entangled in power lines across the street from the facility. Power was restored throughout most of the stadium within 15 minutes, although it blinked on and off just before the 1 p.m. start, and the game kicked off on time. Emergency officials and work crews blocked off part of the area in front of the stadium as they worked to remove the balloons, which appeared to be affecting the electrical flow. A New York State Electric and Gas worker also said a breaker blew and had to be restored. The outage occurred at about 12:29 while both teams were practicing on the field. The stadium lights and scoreboard blinked off, as did the power in the press box. The main scoreboard was the last to power up, about 5 minutes before the start of the game.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad