* United Way of Central Maryland named the Baltimore office of DLA Piper as the Maryland 2007 Organization of the Year.
* The University of Baltimore Career Center awarded the accounting firm of Arthur Bell as its Employer of the Year.
* Andrew Runge, a certified public accountant and financial forensics expert with Naden/Lean LLC, has earned a certification in financial forensics from the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
On the board
* Dr. John N. Naparko, a surgeon and professor of medicine, and Gerald G. Abrams, a certified public accountant, have been elected to posts on the Baltimore-based Hearing and Speech Agency board of directors.
* Maryland New Directions Inc. elected Barbara Sonberg president and Jane E. Anderson as secretary of the board of directors of the Baltimore-based career counseling and job placement organization.
* Business Volunteers Unlimited Maryland announced that Timothy F. Munoz, senior vice president of Legg Mason, has been elected to a post on the organization's board of directors.