Chemical bombs explode at Patterson High School
Patterson High School in Southeast Baltimore was closed early yesterday after two bottles containing chemicals exploded, leading to the arrest of one student and the pursuit of another. The first device detonated in a locker shortly after 11 a.m., leading to the evacuation of the school at 100 Kane St. As students were leaving, a second bottle exploded in the cafeteria. A school police officer who was sickened by the fumes was taken to Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, according to school system spokeswoman Edie House. Patterson dismissed students for the day about 1:30 p.m., House said, though they were permitted to re-enter the building to get belongings. The city police bomb squad and fire investigators were helping school police investigate the incident.
Gang member sentenced in double shooting
A 21-year-old Bloods gang member was sentenced yesterday to 20 years in prison and five years of probation for a double shooting that left one victim paralyzed from the chest down and another in a coma for six weeks. On the eve of trial, Antonio Ferguson, also known as Theodore Spencer, stood before Baltimore Circuit Judge John N. Prevas with a swollen, blood-filled eye from a jailhouse fight and pleaded guilty to two counts of attempted first-degree murder. As corrections officers led him from the courtroom, Ferguson stared down one of the victims, Terry Wells, who was sitting in his wheelchair in the hall, and sneered, "You tired?" A judge had jailed the second victim and intended target of the shooting - Wells' friend, Rahlyl Ford, 18 - to guarantee his testimony had there been a trial. The shooting occurred about 8 p.m. April 1, 2007, at Loyola Northway and Pimlico Road. The motive for the shooting is unclear, but in a statement to police, Ford said that he was trying to get out of the Bloods. Ferguson, of the 2500 block of Loyola Northway, also faces up to eight years in prison for a probation violation in a handgun and drug-dealing case, and up to 40 years should he violate probation in the attempted murders. Dishon Cohen, 19, of the 1600 block of Cliftview Ave., pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit first-degree murder and a handgun charge in August. He is serving 10 years in prison.
Man fatally shot on street in Walbrook community
A man was shot to death last night on a street in the Walbrook community in West Baltimore; police had no suspects and knew of no motive for the city's latest homicide. The victim's name was withheld pending notification of family members, said a Police Department spokesman. Southwestern District police responding to a report of a man shot in the 1900 block of N. Rosedale St. found the man bleeding from multiple gunshot wounds, said Agent Donny Moses, the spokesman. Moses said the victim was pronounced dead at the scene by city Fire Department medics. He said at least one witness was being interviewed by homicide detectives. Metro Crime Stoppers at 410-276-8888 is offering a reward of up to $2,000 for information leading to an arrest and an indictment in the slaying. Last night's homicide was the city's 173rd this year, compared with 238 for the same time last year, police said.
Man robbed of coins at home likely targeted
An Abingdon man robbed at gunpoint in his bedroom said yesterday that he is sure he was targeted. Mario Gugliotta was robbed early Sunday at his townhouse in the 3600 block of Longridge Court. The two robbers took 8,000 quarters, which Gugliotta said weighed about 80 pounds. He said he collects state quarters for his grandchildren. Gugliotta, a 70-year-old retired Baltimore firefighter, and his wife, Margaret, were sleeping when they heard a noise early Sunday. When Gugliotta went downstairs, he came upon a robber with a gun. No one was hurt.
2 men robbed at gunpoint in Arundel Mills parking lot
A group of armed men robbed two men in the parking lot of a restaurant at Arundel Mills mall, Anne Arundel County police said yesterday. Four to six men approached two others leaving the Golden Corral about 11 p.m. Saturday, displayed a handgun and took money from one man's pockets and a wallet from the other man, police said. In another incident near the mall, a woman leaving the Wal-Mart was attacked Oct. 8 by two men who put her in a headlock and rifled through her pockets before escaping in a dark-colored sport utility vehicle. No arrests have been made in either attack.
Man charged with stealing from sheriff's employee
A Howard County man was charged with stealing money from the purse of a sheriff's agency employee in the office where he had been sent under a judge's probation order, authorities said. Eric W. Haaser, 18, of Clarksville took more than $100 from a case manager's purse while in the Community Service Office on Thursday, according to a sheriff's office news release. Haaser had come to enroll in the Positive Alternatives to Dangerous and Destructive Decisions program, according to the Sheriff's Office. Haaser had been ordered to do so earlier in the day by a judge who gave him probation for the charge of driving or attempting to drive while impaired by alcohol, according to the Sheriff's Office and court records.
Trial opens in killing at Columbia 7-Eleven
Though surveillance tape does not show the face of the man who shot and killed a Howard County convenience store clerk last year, witness testimony and evidence will prove that the shooter was Charles David Richardson IV, prosecutors said yesterday. Richardson's jury trial in the murder case began yesterday in Howard County Circuit Court. According to prosecutors, Richardson shot Alevtina Zhilina in the head about 3 a.m. Aug. 26, 2006, during a botched robbery attempt at the 7-Eleven on Columbia Road in Columbia. During opening statements, Richardson's attorney, Mark Van Bavel, said there is no evidence that his client was the person who killed Zhilina. Assistant State's Attorney Lisa Broten said the state plans to show that Richardson's gun, a rare World War II-era handgun that police later found in a sediment pond, was used to kill Zhilina. Earlier this month, Richardson was convicted by a Howard County jury of first-degree murder for shooting an acquaintance in the face, then several times in the back. Prosecutors say the same gun was used in both killings.
Man accused of bomb threats against CASA
ROCKVILLE: Montgomery County police say a man suspected of making bomb threats to the immigrant advocacy group CASA de Maryland has surrendered to authorities. Wesley James Queen II, 34, of Pasadena was charged yesterday with two counts of false statements and two counts of telephone misuse. Police said Queen is responsible for making two calls in May to CASA in Silver Spring. In one, a male caller left a voice mail message threatening to blow up CASA. Ten minutes later, a caller threatened a CASA employee who answered, and again made bomb threats. Queen is being held on $250,000 bond.