William A. Michael, a retired Aberdeen Proving Ground engineer and World War II veteran, died of respiratory failure Oct. 6 at Gilchrist Hospice Care. The Parkville resident was 87.
Mr. Michael was born in Toronto and moved with his family to Covington, Va., in 1934. He graduated from Covington High School in 1938.
He entered Syracuse University in 1941, and the next year he was called to active duty in the Army.
Mr. Michael served in the Pacific as a radar team platoon leader, attaining the rank of captain.
He earned a bachelor's degree in industrial engineering from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in 1950 and a master's degree from George Washington University in the 1980s.
During the 1950s and 1960s, Mr. Michael, who was a licensed engineer affiliated with the National Society of Professional Engineers, was vice president of Metal Structures Corp. in Baltimore.
Projects he worked on during those years included the Roman Catholic Cathedral of Mary Our Queen and CIA headquarters in Langley, Va.
In 1965, Mr. Michael went to work as program manager for the research and development laboratories at Edgewood Arsenal. From the early 1970s until retiring in 1981, he was senior engineer at the Aberdeen Proving Ground Ordnance Center School.
Mr. Michael, who had lived in Havre de Grace from 1967 until 2002 when he moved to the Oak Crest Village retirement community in Parkville, was a longtime communicant and former vestryman at St. George's Episcopal Church in Perryman.
Services will be held at 11 a.m. Jan. 6 at the Old Post Chapel at Fort Meyer, which is adjacent to Arlington National Cemetery.
Surviving are his wife of 62 years, the former Vivian Gilliland; a son, William A. Michael of Manassas, Va.; a sister, Margaret M. Plummer of Toronto; four grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
Frederick N. Rasmussen