Cosmic Cocktail in 2 weeks: Get your ticket today before they sell out.

When friends buy a home together

The Baltimore Sun

My daughter bought a condo with a friend. She put down $40,000 and her friend put down $20,000. They are both on the title to the home, but only my daughter is on the mortgage. How much of the property would her friend be entitled to if she wants out of the deal? They bought the home for $300,000 with a $240,000 loan. Her friend never paid any money toward the mortgage or other expenses and is demanding $150,000. The home was bought four months ago.

It's unfortunate that your daughter is in this situation with a friend. But in this real estate market, it's also unlikely that the property has appreciated in value in four months. If the property is still worth $300,000, your daughter's friend should be happy to get her money back.

Your daughter's friend seems to feel that her $20,000 down payment toward the home should now be worth $150,000. She's forgetting that the value of the condo should be reduced by its debt. The equity in the home - the difference between what the home is worth and the mortgage amount - is what her share of the profits would be calculated on. So if the property is still worth $300,000, and the loan is $240,000, there is approximately $60,000 in equity.

But there have been expenses toward the upkeep and ownership of the property that the friend should have contributed to during the past four months, especially if she was living in the home.

While there may be other circumstances that affect their arrangement, and you did not disclose whether they had any other understandings, it would seem that at the very most she should get $20,000.

But you could easily go further and say that her $20,000 should be reduced by any amount she owes for expenses from the time they bought the place, the friend's share of the costs to purchase the place and the friend's share of any costs to take her name off the title to the home. This might include her share of real estate property taxes, monthly assessments, mortgage payment, any repairs that had to be done to the property, etc.

Your daughter should find a good attorney who can handle the separation of this asset.

Ilyce Glink wrote this with Samuel J. Tamkin, a Chicago-based real estate attorney.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad