Bethesda teen faces charges for explosives
An 18-year-old Bethesda man was charged Thursday by federal authorities with illegal possession of an explosive device and production of false identification, including a Central Intelligence Agency badge and a government card typically used by military personnel. Law enforcement officials reportedly found bomb-making materials that included copper wire, timers, electrical switches, sodium nitrate, plastic pipes and batteries, and bomb-making instructions in the bedroom of Collin McKenzie-Gude when they searched his home July 29. Officers also found a homemade grenade, authorities said, Police also say they found a fake CIA access badge and a false Department of Defense "common access card" used for access to military computers and networks. and several other weapons, including three assault rifles, two shotguns and a handgun. McKenzie-Gude faces weapons charges in state court. The federal charges against McKenzie-Gude appear to be connected to charges of a July 29 attempted carjacking and assault, which he faces in Montgomery County Circuit Court. The date of that incident is the same day his bedroom was searched by police. Rod J. Rosenstein, the U.S. attorney for Maryland, said his office worked with local authorities on the case and decided to bring federal charges against the teenager because of the "gravity of the allegations." If convicted, McKenzie-Gude could face a maximum of 15 years in prison and a $250,000 fine for the false identification charge, and 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine for possessing a destructive device.
Gus G. Sentementes
Man who used MySpace for child porn sentenced
A 40-year-old Gaithersburg man was sentenced Thursday to nearly six years in federal prison after authorities determined that he received and distributed child pornography on his home computer and pretended to be a teenager on MySpace so he could have online conversations with young boys. Eric Warren Cochran was sentenced to 70 months in prison, followed by supervised release for life, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office of Maryland. FBI agents searched Cochran's home and he admitted to having 100 images on his personal computer that had been transmitted to him by unknown individuals, authorities said. Cochran also told FBI agents that he created a MySpace Web page purporting to be a 14-year-old boy from Germantown. Cochran told the agents that he searched for members of the popular social networking site who were boys around 13 or 14 years old and had online conversations with them, authorities said.
Gus G. Sentementes
Police searching for assailant in Towson rape
A 21-year-old woman was raped in Towson earlier this week, Baltimore County police said yesterday, and investigators are asking for the public's help in finding her assailant. The woman was unloading groceries outside a building in the 7900 block of Knollwood Road about 1 a.m. Monday when a man approached her and implied he had a gun, police said. He forced her to walk to the 7600 block of Knollwood Road, where he attacked her behind some bushes, police said. The victim was taken to Greater Baltimore Medical Center, where she was released after treatment. Towson University police sent an e-mail alert describing the incident to students, faculty and staff. Anyone with information is asked to call Baltimore County police at 410-307-2020 or Metro Crime Stoppers at 1-866-7-LOCKUP (1-866-756-2587).
Police arrest man in fatal Edgewood stabbing
Havre de Grace police said yesterday that they arrested a 19-year-old Florida man Thursday evening in connection with the stabbing death of Christopher Adam Fisher. Fisher, 25, of Edgewood died after being stabbed in the neck Wednesday night in Havre de Grace. Johnny R. Serrano, 19, of Naples, Fla., was charged with first- and second-degree murder, police said. He was arrested in Havre de Grace on a marijuana possession charge, police said. He allegedly told police that he had been selling Fisher Percocet when Fisher pulled a gun and that the stabbing occurred during an ensuing fight, police said. Serrano is being held at the Harford County Detention Center without bail.
DVD figure nets 15 years in federal prison for drugs
A man featured in the infamous Stop Snitching witness intimidation DVD was sentenced yesterday to 15 years in federal prison for conspiracy to distribute cocaine and two firearms offenses, federal prosecutors said. According to a news release from U.S. Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein's office, Sherman Kemp, 29, of Baltimore trafficked at least 5 kilograms of cocaine from New York to Baltimore in 2007. He pleaded guilty on all counts and will serve five years of supervised release after his prison term. Kemp is the eighth person in Stop Snitching to be sent to federal prison, according to Rosenstein's office.
Man claiming brutality reaches settlement
A Baltimore man who claimed to be a victim of police brutality in an incident caught on a widely publicized videotape reached a settlement yesterday in a civil lawsuit against the city, his attorney said. The agreement came after a four-day trial and 15 minutes of jury deliberations, according to Granville Templeton III, an attorney for Glenn Curry, 55, who was arrested for possession of heroin, trespassing and resisting arrest two years ago. The charges were thrown out after prosecutors said a videotape shot by Curry's nephew contradicted the account that the arresting officer, Jimmy Shetterly, had written in a statement of charges. Templeton said the video showed Curry being struck in the face, thrown to the ground and dragged; police defended the officer's actions at the time. The video received extensive media coverage, replaying on local television newscasts and YouTube. Templeton said the amount of the settlement was $24,000, though attorneys for the city could not be reached for comment yesterday. Curry, meanwhile, was indicted in Baltimore Circuit Court last month on drug possession charges and is free on bail.
Former soccer coach gets third sex abuse charge
A former Montgomery County soccer coach has been charged with a third incident of sexual abuse, after being arrested twice in August for inappropriately touching two girls, according to police. Juan Jose Aranguri, 46, of Rockville was arrested and charged Thursday with sexual abuse of a minor, five counts of third-degree sex offense and one count of attempted third-degree sex offense, according to Montgomery County Police. He posted a $50,000 bond Thursday and was released, according to online court documents. The alleged victim used Aranguri as her personal trainer between January and March 2007, when she was 13 years old, police said. In both cases in August, Aranguri posted bond and was released. Aranguri has also gone by the name Juan Jose Gonzalez, police said. They are asking that anyone with information about other inappropriate contact he may have engaged in call 240-773-5400.