The Baltimore Sun

Man, 24, is fatally shot in Northeast Baltimore

A 24-year-old man was fatally shot in Northeast Baltimore early yesterday, police said. Michael Wilson of the 3100 block of Belair Road was found about 2:30 a.m. bleeding on a sidewalk in the Belair-Edison community and was pronounced dead a short time later at a hospital, said Agent Donny Moses, a police spokesman. Moses said an investigation indicates that Wilson was standing in the 3000 block of Belair Road when someone approached on foot from Lawnview Street and exchanged words with him. The other person then produced a handgun and shot Wilson multiple times in the torso. Wilson ran north on Belair before collapsing in the street, Moses said. Police had no suspects and knew of no motive in the shooting. Wilson was on probation stemming from a 2006 drug conviction.

Justin Fenton

Police seek gunmen in fatal shooting of man

Baltimore police were seeking two unidentified males after the fatal shooting last night of a man on a street in the Coldstream-Homestead-Montpelier community. The victim's name was withheld pending notification of relatives. Shortly after 9 p.m., Northeastern District police responding to a report of a man shot in the 2500 block of Cecil Ave. found the victim lying in the street, bleeding from at least two gunshot wounds to the back, said Agent Donny Moses, a police spokesman. The victim was taken by a Fire Department ambulance to Johns Hopkins Hospital, where he died a short time later. Uniformed police and detectives determined that the victim had been shot in the nearby 1500 block of Friendship St. and apparently staggered to Cecil Avenue and collapsed.

Richard Irwin

Man watching argument is shot in the jaw

A man was shot in the jaw late Monday outside a White Marsh restaurant while watching an argument that escalated into gunfire, Baltimore County police said yesterday. Officers responded at 11:23 p.m. to a report of shots fired outside Manhattan Grill in Honeygo Village Center. Cpl. Michael Hill, a police spokesman, said that the shooting on the parking lot followed an argument that drew a small crowd. "Someone with a firearm - we believe a handgun - fired several shots into the air. We're not sure if they intentionally fired into the crowd," said Hill. A man in the crowd was hit in the jaw and was taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center with a gunshot wound that was not life-threatening, Hill said. He declined to identify the victim or the circumstances of the argument, saying that to do so might compromise the investigation. He said he did not know whether the shooter was involved in the argument or was a bystander and whether the shopping center has surveillance cameras in the parking lot where the shooting occurred. Police do not have a description of a suspect, Hill said.

Jennifer McMenamin

Howard man pleads guilty to stabbing his father

A Howard County man pleaded guilty yesterday to assault, after admitting stabbing his father in the neck. Timothy Forrest Cavender, 22, of Columbia had been charged with attempted first-degree murder, but prosecutors dropped that charge along with others as part of a plea agreement. According to prosecutors, about 3:30 a.m. April 12, police responded to the 12200 block of Green Meadow Drive in Columbia after receiving a report of a stabbing in an apartment. When officers arrived, Cavender answered the door, his hands and clothing covered with blood, according to prosecutors, and an officer noticed a knife sticking out of Cavender's back pocket. When police entered the home, they found Cavender's 44-year-old father, Peter Cavender, on the living room floor with blood spurting from a neck wound. Cavender could face 25 years in prison, but prosecutors are recommending a sentence of eight years. State sentencing guidelines call for three to eight years. Sentencing is scheduled for Dec. 12.

Tyeesha Dixon

Victim of Sept. 18 downtown stabbing dies

A 43-year-old woman who was stabbed in the neck two weeks ago in downtown Baltimore between the Inner Harbor and city convention center has died. Helen Reightler, who relatives said had been homeless for about the past six months, was paralyzed and had been recovering at a rehabilitation center since the Sept. 18 incident. But she came down with a fever and slipped into shock, according to Donny Moses, a police spokesman. She was taken to Sinai Hospital on Sunday, where she died a day later. Police said Edward Thornton, 54, of no fixed address, was arrested after officers responded to a report of an assault in progress at West Pratt and South Charles streets and saw Thornton running from the scene. According to charging documents, he had been arguing with Reightler about some cardboard that she and her boyfriend were sleeping on before stabbing her in the back of the neck with a folding knife. Thornton was taken to Central Booking, where he was charged with attempted first-degree murder and related charges. Moses said Thornton's charges will be upgraded to first-degree murder.

Justin Fenton

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad