Boldin taken to hospital after helmet-to-helmet blow

Arizona wide receiver Anquan Boldin (pictured) was carted off the field after a helmet-to-helmet collision in the end zone with 27 seconds remaining in the Cardinals' 56-35 loss to the host New York Jets yesterday.

Boldin tried to catch a pass from Kurt Warner, but was hit in the back and then took a shot to his helmet from safety Eric Smith. Boldin and Smith fell to the turf, and Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald immediately waved to the sideline for help.


Trainers ran out to check on Boldin, and soon the entire Cardinals team surrounded their teammate as the Giants Stadium crowd fell silent. Smith, also injured on the play, was able to get up after a few moments.

After being attended to for several minutes, Boldin was immobilized and placed on a stretcher before he was carted off the field.


Boldin was moving all his extremities on the field and was talking to his teammates coming off the field and going into the locker room. He was taken to a hospital for precautionary reasons.

"He's talking and moving all his extremities," Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt said. " He asked to get up and the doctors won't let him."

Chiefs:: Rookie left tackle Branden Albert (Glen Burnie) was carted off the field with what appeared to be an arm injury in the first half of the win against the Broncos.

Broncos:: Receiver Clifford Russell was immobilized and taken off the field on a stretcher after spraining his neck in the fourth quarter. Russell was hurt on Kansas City's return of the kickoff after a touchdown. He lifted his left hand and waved as he was taken off the field.

Panthers:: Left tackle Jordan Gross suffered a concussion and was carted off the field in the win over the visiting Falcons. It wasn't clear how Gross was injured with 9:45 to play in the first quarter. He was lying face down on the grass after a 1-yard run by DeAngelo Williams. After a delay of several minutes, a stretcher was sent onto the field for Gross, who waved it off. He instead left on the back of a cart.

Hochuli:: Referee Ed Hochuli was at the center of another questionable call, flagging Julius Peppers for a roughing-the-passer penalty that wiped out the Panthers' interception return for a touchdown in the first quarter. After Matt Ryan's pass was intercepted by Richard Marshall, Hochuli threw a flag and ruled that Peppers had made a helmet-to-helmet hit on Ryan. Replays showed Peppers made contact as Ryan released the ball and appeared to hit him first with his shoulder. Two weeks ago, a missed call by Hochuli helped the Broncos rally to defeat the Chargers.

Redskins:: Defensive end Jason Taylor's consecutive games streak ended at 133 when he missed the win against the host Cowboys. Taylor, whose streak was the seventh-longest among active players, is recovering from surgery from a rare injury sustained when he was kicked in the shin in the Redskins' victory over the Cardinals last week.

Cowboys:: Owner Jerry Jones was fined $25,000 by the NFL for publicly criticizing Hochuli. Jones told reporters two weeks ago that Hochuli was one of the most criticized officials. The owner followed that on his weekly radio show with comments about how Hochuli's crew calls a lot of penalties.