Packers spokesman Jeff Blumb confirmed that Favre did not report to camp with Packers players, who were required to report yesterday morning.
Favre told SI.com that Packers general manager Ted Thompson had asked him for "a couple of days" to resolve the situation.
"I don't want to be a distraction to the Packers," Favre told the site, "and I hope in the next few days we can come to an agreement that would allow me to continue playing football."
Running back Ryan Grant - an exclusive-rights free agent who refused to sign a tender offer and is pursuing a long-term deal - also did not report yesterday morning.
To report to camp, Favre would first have to file for reinstatement with the league and have his request approved by commissioner Roger Goodell. Then he'd have to pass a team physical.
In the SI.com interview, Favre said he has been speaking with Goodell and hopes the commissioner could be "some sort of arbitrator."
Favre told SI.com he was interviewed last week by an NFL official about tampering charges filed by the Packers against the Minnesota Vikings. Favre said he talked to Vikings coach Brad Childress and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell - which by itself wouldn't constitute tampering - but denied that either of them tried to entice him to come to the Vikings, as the Packers suspect.
Childress said any conversations he had with Favre were merely to catch up with a player he has known since he was an assistant coach at Wisconsin.
* BearsKick returner Devin Hester has signed a new four-year contract that is reportedly worth up to $40 million. Hester skipped the first two days of training camp because he wanted to renegotiate his contract, which had two years left. Hester's previous contract was for $445,000 for the 2008 season. In two seasons, Hester is two touchdown returns short of Brian Mitchell's record of 13 kick or punt returns for touchdowns - a mark that took 14 years to set.
* BengalsWide receiver Chad Johnson reported to training camp as promised. The Pro Bowl receiver tried to get the team to trade him in the offseason, but the Bengals refused. He dropped his threat to sit out the season and apologized to fans who were upset with his offseason comments.
* EaglesAll-Pro cornerback Asante Samuel is day-to-day with a mild hamstring strain. ... Two-time Pro Bowl right guard Shawn Andrews remained a no-show at camp. Andrews' absence for "personal reasons" is not excused.
* RedskinsWashington signed defensive tackle Zarnell Fitch and guard Fred Matua and waived defensive end J.T. Mapu and guard Kerry Brown. Fitch spent last season on the Ravens' practice squad. He was on the Ravens' active roster for two games but did not play.
* SaintsDefensive tackle DeMario Pressley was put on injured reserve with a fractured right foot, forcing the fifth-round draft pick to miss his rookie season.