The Baltimore Sun

Van escapee is convicted in his absence

A man who escaped from a state prison van on the way to Baltimore Circuit Court was convicted of handgun charges in his absence last night, according to a prosecutor with the city state's attorney's office.

On Tuesday, Marcus Anderson, who was unrestrained, leaped out of a road crew van when it stopped at a red light at Baltimore and South streets.

Because of a missed connection in Jessup, Anderson, 22, was being driven to court by a corrections officer who normally doesn't transport prisoners, according to testimony. The officer put Anderson in the front passenger seat, and she had no radio or cell phone to alert authorities after his escape.

Judge Charles G. Bernstein decided to try the case, even though Anderson was at large.

The trial ended yesterday afternoon, and the jury returned a guilty verdict about 7 p.m., said Doug Ludwig, division chief of the firearms unit in the prosecutor's office. Anderson was found guilty of being a felon in possession of a handgun and transporting a handgun in a vehicle, he said.

Anderson will be sentenced after he is recaptured. He could receive

a maximum penalty of eight years in prison, the first five without parole, in the gun case. Felony escape charges are pending, Ludwig said.

Anyone with information on Anderson's location is asked to call 911.

Queen Anne's

Kent Island

Body found, recovered in Chesapeake Bay

Maryland Natural Resources Police recovered a body in the Chesapeake Bay near Kent Island yesterday, less than two miles away from where a boat capsized and left two men stranded briefly in the water.

The incidents are not related, said Sgt. Ken Turner, a Maryland Natural Resources Police spokesman.

Turner said police are not identifying the body, which was discovered between Love Point and Rock Hall by a passing boater about 9:30 a.m. The body was taken to the medical examiner's office in Baltimore for an autopsy.

Police recovered the body 15 minutes after another boater rescued two men from a sinking 18-foot boat, according to Turner. The two men were in the water after the bilge pump in their boat failed and the vessel began taking on water. One of the boaters wore a life jacket and refused treatment after the rescue. The other boater did not have on a life jacket and was taken to Anne Arundel Medical Center with chest pains, according to Turner.

Brent Jones

Anne Arundel


Mid's child porn trial postponed until Aug. 5

The military trial scheduled for Tuesday for a Naval Academy midshipman accused of possessing and distributing child pornography has been postponed at the request of the student's attorney, an academy spokeswoman said yesterday. Michael S. Pollard of Apopka, Fla., is accused of storing the porn on a computer in his Bancroft Hall room in Annapolis and on a laptop that authorities found in his family's home in Florida. His court-martial has been postponed until Aug. 5, said Deb Goode, an academy spokeswoman. An attempt to reach Larry N. Burch, the civilian defense attorney who represented Pollard at a hearing in April, was unsuccessful.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad