Banking and finance
* SunTrust Bank Mid-Atlantic named A. David Horsman as group manager for commercial real estate in Virginia, Washington and Maryland.
* The Columbia Bank appointed David L. Wheeler as senior vice president of branch banking for the Howard County-based institution. He is responsible for the daily operations of 15 branch offices in four counties.
* Merrill Lynch & Co. appointed Ryan C.A. Kirby as associate resident director of its Salisbury office.
* AAA Mid-Atlantic selected Donald R. Gagnon as chief executive officer of AAA Mid-Atlantic and the AAA Mid-Atlantic Insurance Co.
* Frederick Ward Associates said Chuck Cooper has joined the architectural division of the Bel Air firm as a senior project manager. He formerly was with InFORM Studio/TAG atelier in Myrtle Beach, S.C.
* Blind Industries and Services of Maryland appointed Amy Phelps as director of rehabilitation and training for the Baltimore-based provider of employment training services to the visually impaired.
* Clifton Gunderson LLP selected Greg Bussink and Denise Wu as partners at the Calverton-based national public accounting and consulting firm.
* L2M hired Kristine Sherwood as marketing and business development manager for the Baltimore-based architecture design firm.
* Manekin LLC appointed Owen Rouse Jr. as senior vice president, director of capital markets for the Columbia-based commercial real estate and land development company. He formerly was with Alex. Brown Realty Advisors.
* MacKenzie Commercial Real Estate Services, based in Lutherville, named Robin Sakin as a real estate adviser on the firm's retail leasing team.