Teen accused of shooting mother

The Baltimore Sun

An 18-year old man was arrested after, police said, he shot his mother in the head and then fired at officers who chased him though the streets of Southeast Baltimore on Wednesday night.

The shooting was one of a series of violent incidents in the city that left three people with non-life-threatening injuries.

Police said the mother was shot shortly before 11 p.m. on South Ellwood Avenue. They said the mother and a friend had been driving their black sport utility vehicle and stopped to pick up the 18-year-old son from a house.

The man told his mother to drive to an alley in East Baltimore - city police were still investigating where the alley was - and he got out of the car for a brief period of time, said Officer Troy Harris, a city police spokesman.

"He came back with a bulge in his shirt believed to be a handgun," Harris said. Harris said it is not clear how the teen obtained the gun.

The man then argued with his mother, Harris said, perhaps over the gun. While in the first block of S. Ellwood Ave., near Patterson Park, he fired a shot at his mother, striking her on the left side of her skull, Harris said.

The mother approached a marked patrol car in the 3000 block of E. Baltimore St. and told officers what happened, Harris said. One officer stayed with her while others began looking for the suspect in a black SUV.

The officers found the SUV, but after they stopped it, and a young man jumped out and held one hand to his waistband, Harris said. "He fired one shot, and then his handgun became inoperable," Harris said.

At least one officer returned fire and chased him, Harris said. Police caught up with the suspect and arrested him in the 2800 block of E. Baltimore St. "We found some suspected drugs but no weapon," Harris said. Officers later found a handgun, Harris said.

The man's mother was treated at Johns Hopkins Hospital and is expected to survive. Her name has not been released.

The man had been arrested in August and charged with handgun offenses, according to computerized court records.

Earlier Wednesday, about 9 p.m., police said a 17-year-old male was shot and wounded in the 1700 block of Homestead St., off Harford Road. Police said the victim was on a street corner when he was approached by a group of men who accused him of stealing their drugs. Police said one man pulled out a gun and shot the teen on the right side of the jaw.

The teen ran to a house on Homestead Street, where police found him. He was rushed to Johns Hopkins Hospital. Police detectives are waiting to talk to him and expect him to survive.

Two hours later, about 11 p.m. in East Baltimore, a 37-year-old woman was grazed in the head by an apparent stray bullet as she stood on the front porch of a friend's house in the 900 block of N. Streeper St., police said.

The victim had just dropped her father off at his house and had walked across the street. "While standing on the porch, she heard a couple of gunshots coming from the direction of Ashland Avenue," police said. She then "felt a burning sensation below her left eye."

Paramedics took the victim to Johns Hopkins Hospital, and she was treated and released. No arrests have been made.

Shootings in the city this year are down 29 percent compared with last year.


Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad