Capital Gazette wins special Pulitzer Prize citation for coverage of newsroom shooting that killed five


The Baltimore Sun

Stabbings delay light rail

Light rail traffic - already hobbled by maintenance problems - was further delayed downtown yesterday while city police investigated the stabbings of two females near Baltimore and Howard streets.

Shortly after 4 p.m., the victims, 16 and 21, were stabbed during an altercation with at least one other person and were taken to University of Maryland Medical Center. One of the victims was in serious condition last night, said Agent Donny Moses, a city police spokesman. A suspect was arrested and taken to the Central District for an interview.

Col. John Gavrilis, head of the Maryland Transit Administration Police, said that when city police cordoned off the scene, MTA officers immediately halted north and southbound train traffic so trains would not interfere with the investigation.

"We then set up what we call 'bus bridges' that avoided the crime scene and took northbound passengers from Pratt Street to North Avenue and southbound passengers from North Avenue to Pratt Street," he said.

Gavrilis said the bus bridges worked very well and that light rail traffic returned to normal in about an hour.

Richard Irwin

Male, 17, dies after being shot

A 17-year-old male died early yesterday after he was chased down an alley and shot several times Tuesday night in West Baltimore, city police said.

The victim, whose name has not been released, was attacked in the alley off the 2900 block of Presbury St. and suffered gunshot wounds to the back and legs, said Officer Troy Harris, a city police spokesman.

The youth ran west and collapsed in the 3000 block of Presbury St., where police officers from the Southwestern District found him about 10:30 p.m., police said.

The teen was taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where he was pronounced dead about 2:15 a.m., police said.

Gus G. Sentementes and Annie Linskey

Man dies after Pigtown altercation

A man died yesterday evening at a downtown hospital of injuries he suffered in an altercation on a Washington Village street, city police said.

The man's identity was being withheld pending notification of family members, police said. No arrest had been made, and details were not immediately available.

Shortly before 5 p.m., Southern District police and city Fire Department medics were dispatched to the 1200 block of James St., near Ostend Street, where they found a man bleeding heavily from a stab or a slashing wound to his throat, police said. They said they did not know what kind of weapon was used.

The man was taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where he died a short time later, police said.

Metro Crime Stoppers at 410-276-8888 is offering a reward of up to $2,000 for information leading to an arrest and an indictment in the killing.

Richard Irwin

An article in yesterday's editions of The Sun listed an incorrect title for Lt. Col. John E. Gravilis of the Maryland Transit Administration Police. He is a deputy chief.THE SUN REGRETS THE ERROR
Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad