Banking and finance
* SunTrust Bank announced the appointment of Jonathan Holloway as a vice president in the regional bank's Baltimore commercial division..
* Erickson Retirement Communities appointed Donna Samulowitz as its chief marketing officer. She is responsible for the marketing and sales organization of the Catonsville-headquartered national chain of retirement communities.
Legal and insurance
* Saul Ewing LLP said Randall M. Lutz joined the Baltimore office of the regional law firm as a partner in the environmental department and a member of the energy and utility practice group.
* The Baltimore Sun Co. promoted Chris Manis to assistant controller for the news company. A certified public accountant who formerly was with PricewaterhouseCoopers, he is responsible for financial reporting, payroll and the company's Sarbanes-Oxley process.
* The League for People with Disabilities appointed Paulette Pettit-Austrich as marketing and development director for the Northeast Baltimore-based nonprofit assistance organization.
* US Lacrosse has chosen Bill Schoonmaker as chief operating officer for the Baltimore-based sports national governing body. He is a former vice president with LeadDog Marketing Group.
* Cannon Design appointed Joseph Lee Coyle as an associate principal and Daniel Krause as a vice president at the international architectural engineering and planning firm.
* Message Systems named James Elder chief financial officer of the Columbia-based e-mail solutions provider. He was formerly with 180s.
* Smith Litho promoted Chuck Barger to production manager of manufacturing for the Rockville-based commercial printer.