Two hospitalized after house fire
A man and woman were taken to Northwest Hospital Center yesterday for treatment of injuries after the man's cigarette ignited an oxygen tank in his Owings Mills condominium, county fire officials said.
The fire began in a three-story building in the 9200 block of Groffs Mill Drive shortly after 2:30 p.m., and crews had it under control within about 10 minutes, fire officials said.
The 64-year-old man and 65-year-old woman were taken to the hospital with nonlife-threatening injuries, authorities said. Their names were not available, officials said.
A residential sprinkler system kept the damage to the building to a minimum, officials said.
Sally Ride festival set for Saturday
Towson University will host the Sally Ride Science Festival from 11 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. Saturday at the Fisher College of Science and Mathematics.
The event, founded by astronaut Sally Ride, the first American woman to go into space, is held for elementary and middle school girls, parents and teachers to spark interest in the sciences and math.
The festival will feature a talk by cosmochemist Laurie Leshin, director of sciences and exploration at the Goddard Space Center in Greenbelt, as well as workshops, a street fair with hands-on activities, booths, food and music.
Tickets are $8 and registration is required.