The Baltimore Sun

Police seeking assailant in Charles Village attacks

City police are seeking a man they say is responsible for the rape of one Charles Village woman and the attempted rape of another in separate incidents.

The most recent attack occurred about 5 p.m. Wednesday, when a woman was followed into her apartment in the 2200 block of St. Paul St. by a man who asked her for money, said Detective Keith Merryman of the sex-offense unit.

The man displayed a handgun and raped the woman on her couch, Merryman said.

On March 5, a woman was about to enter her apartment in the 2600 block of St. Paul St. about 9 p.m. when a man with a knife threw her down in the hallway and was attempting to rape her when the woman screamed for help.

The man fled when the victim's roommate opened the apartment door.

The man is described as black, in his early to mid-30s, about 5 feet 9 inches tall, with a medium build. He has short hair and is clean-cut and "fairly well-spoken," police said.

At the time of the most recent assault, the man was wearing a blue T-shirt with an unknown pink logo, black cotton gloves, tennis shoes and dark pants, police said.

Anyone with information is urged to call the sex-offense unit at 410-396-2076. Metro Crime Stoppers at 410-276-8888 is offering a reward of up to $2,000 for information leading to an arrest and an indictment.

Richard Irwin

Man admits fatally stabbing wife

An Anne Arundel County man pleaded guilty yesterday to fatally stabbing his wife during an argument.

Soman N. Thamby, 51, pleaded guilty to one count of second-degree murder in the killing of Lesa Lynn Thamby, 35, last May in the Brooklyn Park home where they lived with their three young children.

Warren A. Brown, Thamby's defense attorney, said his client chose to plead guilty before Circuit Judge Philip T. Caroom to avoid the possibility of a first-degree murder charge and a longer sentence.

Prosecutors said they plan to ask the judge to impose the maximum sentence for second-degree murder - 30 years - even though Thamby has no prior criminal record. Sentencing guidelines in the case call for between 12 and 20 years. Brown said he would ask the court to impose a sentence of 12 years. Sentencing is scheduled for July.

Prosecutors Pamela Alban and Brooke McKay said the couple were arguing on May 5, 2007, and that Lesa Thamby attempted to leave the home with her children , with the help of her mother, Maybelle Lawhorn, who lived nearby.

Soman Thamby wouldn't let them leave, prosecutors said, and stabbed his wife twice in the chest.

Nicole Fuller

Teen charged as adult in shooting

A 15-year-old boy who police said confessed to shooting a man in Annapolis on Monday has been charged as an adult with attempted murder and related charges, Anne Arundel County police said.

The boy, identified as Malachi Abayamie Mandala McFarland of the 1110 block of Frederick Douglass St., was brought by his mother to a police station, where he said that he had he shot 20-year-old Jawan Keith Tasker earlier in the day because he felt threatened, according to police.

McFarland was initially charged with first-degree assault as a juvenile and turned over to the Cheltenham juvenile facility.

Deputy State's Attorney William D. Roessler said additional information was uncovered that suggested that McFarland had acted as an aggressor. According to charging documents, witnesses reported seeing a male with a gun standing over another male, who was on the ground, and firing three times.

Tasker, of Graff Court, was listed in critical condition at Maryland Shock Trauma Center, according to a spokeswoman.

Justin Fenton

Unidentified man dies in shooting

Baltimore police are trying to identify an adult male who died early yesterday morning after having been found shot on a street in the Woodmere neighborhood, according to a department spokesman.

Officer Troy Harris said officers responding to calls for shots fired found the man lying on a sidewalk in the 4100 block of Newbern Ave. in Northwest Baltimore. He had been shot several times and was taken to Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 2:02 a.m., Harris said.

The spokesman said detectives have no identification on the body and know of no suspects or motive.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad