"Members of the Bush River Boat Club, by popular vote, chose Miss Barbara Lee Baker as Princess of Bush River." This honor was given to the Aberdeen High School junior on April 25, 1953.
The Bush River Boat Club was organized in 1939 to promote safe recreational boating. Originally at the public landing at Otter Point, a new location was chosen after World War II. In 1945, the former site of a girls camp at Long Bar was purchased for $8,500.
Although the clubhouse was destroyed by fire in 1948, by 1953, its replacement was the home of a growing membership as well as the Ladies Auxiliary, Coast Guard Auxiliary and the Bush River Power Squadron.
Source: Harford County Directory: A Reference Book of History, Business and General Information, 1953
Compiled by the staff of the Harford County Public Library