Don’t miss Orioles players, John Means & Paul Fry, as they guest host at our Brews and O’s event!

Gregory Bauer

The Baltimore Sun

Gregory Anthony Bauer, a former truck driver who was enjoying his career as a Maryland Transportation Authority maintenance employee, died Wednesday after he was struck by a car while clearing debris along Interstate 95 near White Marsh. He was 38.

In a tribute to Mr. Bauer, Gov. Martin O'Malley ordered the state flag to be flown at half-staff from Thursday to Monday.

John T. Monk, chief of the facility maintenance office at the Harbor Tunnel, described Mr. Bauer as a close personal friend, whom he hired and trained. He described the dangerous nature of the work that his workers perform.

"You're only inches from traffic, and this goes on for eight hours a day, every day," he said.

After Mr. Bauer was hit, he was taken to Franklin Square Hospital Center, where he was pronounced dead. The driver of the car suffered minor injuries, police said.

Mr. Bauer, an Abingdon resident, was working as a facility maintenance technician at the time of his death. Mr. Monk said the authority's duties include maintaining all of the state's toll roads and rights of way. Its workers remove snow, cut grass, remove trash, repair concrete and maintain bridges.

"Greg had a comprehensive knowledge of the construction trade and had a lot of the qualities I look for in new hires," Mr. Monk said. "He really was a jack-of-all-trades and a fine individual who always showed lots of initiative."

He described Mr. Bauer as a "great guy who was always smiling, even on days when things weren't going his way."

Mr. Monk said that Mr. Bauer had recently been studying for a technicians exam that would have helped him move into management.

Mr. Bauer, born in Baltimore and raised in Bel Air, attended Bel Air High School. He later earned his General Educational Development diploma.

Mr. Bauer had worked for seven years as truck driver, delivering roofing supplies for the Roof Center in Woodlawn, when he decided to change careers in 2006 and took a job with the Maryland Transportation Authority.

"I have often thought of the men working along the roads and the law enforcement officers when they are out of their cars along the highways and wonder why people are not more careful," Jeannette T. Schluderberg, a cousin who lives in Ashburn, Va., wrote in an e-mail to The Sun.

"These men and women risk their lives every day trying to keep our highways safe for us, so, why don't people at least slow down when they pass so another mother doesn't have to tell their children that their Dad is not coming home."

Eric J. Rumer, the chief facility maintenance officer at Belcamp, where Mr. Bauer worked, said Mr. Bauer was a "very fine man who was fondly thought of" by his fellow workers.

Mr. Bauer enjoyed spending time with his family and friends.

"We'd go to each other's houses for dinner and take the kids to the pool in the summer," Mr. Monk said.

"Greg loved watching football and baseball, and doing odd handyman jobs around the house," said his wife of 12 years, the former Stacey Lynn Moore. "He was a very loving father and attended church each week."

"He was just fantastic. Everyone loved Greg," Mrs. Schluderberg said.

Mr. Bauer was a communicant of St. Margaret Roman Catholic Church, 141 N. Hickory Ave. in Bel Air, where a Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10 a.m. tomorrow.

Also surviving are a son, Gregory A. Bauer Jr., 11; a daughter, Carolyn Ashley Bauer, 9; and his mother, Maryann Keck Bauer of Edgewood.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad