On April 5, 1946, the Harford Democrat and Aberdeen Enterprise newspaper announced that former Havre de Grace player Harry Lawder III had donated a trophy for the Susquehanna League batting champion. A trophy to honor the league's Most Valuable Player was also donated.
The Susquehanna League ran from 1946 to 1953. Eight teams were fielded in the inaugural season: the Aberdeen Canners, the Darlington Farmers, the Havre de Grace Rivermen, the Elkton County Seaters, the Providence Papermen, the Rising Sun Sunners, the North East Indians, and the Newark, Delaware, Collegians. Fans often watched games from their cars before adequate stadiums, such as one seating 1,000 in Aberdeen, could be built.
Local participation in the "Susky" League changed with each season, as Bel Air, Hickory, Perryville and Chesapeake City fielded teams. Notable players included Cal Ripken Sr., Ollie and Bill Ripken and Al Cesky.
Source: Harford Historical Bulletin, Winter/Spring 2003
Compiled by the staff of the Harford County Public Library