The Baltimore Sun

Amber Alert issued for teens abducted from their home

An Amber Alert has been issued for two teenage brothers apparently kidnapped after six gunmen invaded their Catonsville home yesterday, a Baltimore County police spokesman said.

Shortly before 3 a.m., six armed men wearing masks got out of a gray Chevrolet Suburban in front of a house in the 600 block of Plymouth Road and forced their way into the two-story house occupied by two females and eight males, most of whom did not live there.

Once inside, the men awakened the occupants, binding their hands behind their backs with tape and gagging them, said Cpl. Mike Hill, the spokesman.

The armed intruders remained in the house for eight hours, until about 11 a.m., when they left with the brothers, Stephon Blackwell, 17, and Sterling Blackwell, 16, in a black 2004 BMW 645 convertible that belongs to one of the occupants.

As the BMW was about to leave, a male relative of the boys was driving by the house and witnessed the abduction. Police said that when the relative approached the BMW, one of the intruders fired a shot that missed the man.

About 8:30 p.m., the BMW was found abandoned in the 200 block of N. Glover St. in East Baltimore, police said.

Hill said the people left in the house at first were not cooperating with police but later gave them some information, which he declined to describe. Police were attempting to determine if the invasion was random or deliberate, Hill said. The spokesman said he didn't know whether the intruders stole any money or property from the house.

County police requested that Maryland State Police activate an Amber Alert describing the boys and the car in which they were abducted.

Anyone with information about the case should call 911 or county police at 410-307-2020.

Richard Irwin

Police seek gunman in two shootings - one of them fatal - on I-95

Police are searching for a suspect after two Havre de Grace men were shot -- one fatally -- early yesterday on the shoulder of Interstate 95 in Harford County, authorities said.

Alan Zurita, 29, was shot in the chest and left on the shoulder of the highway about 2:30 a.m. yesterday. He died less than two hours later at Upper Chesapeake Medical Center in Bel Air, according to police.

The second victim, Damon M. Jackson, 33, was shot in the leg and then was dropped off by the suspect at the same hospital, police said. Jackson's injuries were not considered life-threatening, police said.

Police said the suspect, Zurita and Jackson knew each other casually, had met in Harford County on Monday night and were traveling south on I-95 in a red Mitsubishi Galant. As they neared the exit to Route 24, the driver pulled to the side of the highway and shot both men, said state police spokesman Greg Shipley.

Zurita was mostly likely shot outside the vehicle, Shipley said. Police said they were not certain whether Jackson was shot in or out of the vehicle.

Early yesterday, motorists called police after seeing a pedestrian, later identified as Zurita, on the shoulder of the highway. He was taken by ambulance to the Bel Air hospital, where he died shortly before 4 a.m., authorities said. When state troopers arrived at the hospital, they learned that Jackson had been dropped off there between 2:30 a.m. and 3 a.m. with a gunshot wound, Shipley said.

Police had not determined the motive in the case, and they did not release the name of a suspect.

Yesterday afternoon, investigators recovered the red Mitsubishi Galant believed to have been used by the suspect and victims at a Temple Hills home in Prince George's County.

The car did not belong to the suspect and was not stolen, Shipley said.

The shooting caused the middle and right lanes of southbound I-95 to be closed early yesterday, snarling traffic during morning rush hour.

Madison Park

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad