On March 26, 1885, an advertisement ran in the Bel Air Times that solicited all "Carriage Builders and Others Interested In First-Class Wheels" to try a trial order of Joel C. Hollingsworth's patented improved wheel hubs.
Hollingsworth had started out manufacturing wheel spokes at his Willow Valley Spokes Works. On July 4, 1876, he laid the cornerstone on his factory for the manufacture of other parts of the wheel. This new factory was on what is now Wheel Road, where the road used to cross Winters Run.
On March 17, 1885, Hollingsworth was awarded U.S. Patent number 314,024 for an improved wheel hub. The wheel factory became very successful. Many wagon trips were made to the train station to ship the products of the factory. The next step was to bring back hardware, groceries and other mercantile goods in the otherwise empty wagons.
Now known as the J.C. Hollingsworth Wheel Company, the company also became a general merchandiser. Customers included workers attracted by the factory to the area, which became known as Wheel, Maryland. From 1890, Wheel had its own post office, signifying its importance as a community center.
Resource: "Harford Glen: An Outdoor Classroom & Preserve" by Jack Shagena
Compiled by the staff of the Harford County Public Library.