2 apartments hit by fire

The Baltimore Sun

A two-alarm fire damaged two apartments in a Baltimore County building complex yesterday morning and sent one occupant to a hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation, according to a fire official.

The blaze was first reported about 5:45 a.m. in a third-story apartment at the Kenilworth at Charles Apartments in the 1100 block of Donington Circle, between Joppa Road and the Baltimore Beltway, west of Towson.

The fire started on a kitchen stove in an unattended pan of cooking oil, fire officials said.

Fire spread to the roof, which partially collapsed, and to an adjacent apartment, forcing up to six people from their homes, said Michael W. Robinson, the Baltimore County fire division chief. Investigators estimated the damage at $400,000.

Robinson said that fires in apartment buildings typically spread along the roof line, but that this fire broke out in an end unit, and winds blew flames away from the building. "That was to our advantage," he said.

The injured man, who was staying in a friend's apartment when the fire started, got out on his own, Robinson said. The man was taken to Greater Baltimore Medical Center for minor injuries, the chief said.

Robinson said two alarms were sounded, bringing about 70 firefighters to the scene. The fire was under control about 6:30 a.m.

gus.sentementes@baltsun.com

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad
45°