Hospice of the Chesapeake will hold a rededication today at Maryland's first hospice home, the newly expanded and renovated Betty Jane & Creston G. Tate Foundation Chesapeake Hospice House.
New features of the Tate house in Linthicum include a 2,500-square-foot wing that includes two additional patient rooms, a chapel/meditation room, office space for staff, a library and conference room, laundry facilities, decks and landscaping and new furniture and equipment throughout the 5,000-square-foot building.
The facility provides a homelike setting for people with terminal illnesses who live alone, have no one to care for them or need complex or concentrated care.
More than 650 patients have lived at the house since it opened in 1996. With eight patient rooms, it will now have the same number as center's other facility in the county, the John and Arloine Mandrin Chesapeake Hospice House in Harwood.
The renovation and expansion cost $800,000, which included a major contribution by Jim and Linda Humphrey, gifts and service-in-kind donations.
The reopening ceremony will be held at 10:30 a.m. at the home at 817 South Camp Meade Road. Parking is available at the Park 'n' Go lot at 790 South Camp Meade Road The fee will be waived to those going to the hospice house. A complimentary shuttle will be provided to the ceremony.
Information: 443-837-1536 or 443-822-0015.