George Winfield posthumously honored for public service
L. Winfield, who was director of Baltimore's Department of Public Works for seven years, was posthumously given the city's award for public service yesterday.
Winfield spent three decades with the city - serving under five mayors - and developed a reputation as a quiet, steady worker who rarely, if ever, raised his voice as he pushed major DPW projects to completion. He died of a stroke a month ago at the age of 64.
"What we don't want to happen is for any of us to forget this man," Mayor Sheila Dixon said before bestowing the Richard A. Lidinsky Sr. Award to Winfield's family. "His spirit will continue to carry all of us to another level."
The department, which employs 3,500, oversees little-noticed but critical city functions, from trash collection to providing drinking water. Among other projects, Winfield is credited with advancing a $30 million renovation of the Loch Raven Dam and a $15 million rehabilitation of Lake Montebello.
"Thank you for remembering George," said Ruby Winfield, George Winfield's widow. "He loved this city, and he loved the people of this city."
The city created the award in 2004 to honor Lidinsky, who spent 28 years as deputy city comptroller and clerk to the Board of Estimates under the administrations of eight mayors.
Gary Cole, deputy director of the city's Planning Department, and Ernest Dorsey, director of the mayor's Youth Opportunities Division, were also recognized as honorable mention recipients.
: Board of Estimates
City to pay legal fees in 'Superblock' suit
Baltimore will pay $40,000 in legal fees to a prominent city attorney who successfully sued the Baltimore Development Corp. over public access to the organization's meetings, under a settlement approved yesterday by the Board of Estimates.
John C. Murphy, who represents business owners in the path of the city's "Superblock" Westside redevelopment effort, argued that the agency acted inappropriately by conducting its business behind closed doors. In November 2006, the Court of Appeals agreed and ruled that the BDC is subject to the state's open-meetings and records laws. Officials said the settlement is an important last piece of the litigation, meaning the project may now move forward.
Murder case goes to jury
Harford County prosecutors told jurors yesterday that the shooting death of Samuel David Horne in Edgewood was a premeditated act carried out by Sean Nelson Smith and his friends.
During closing arguments, prosecutors Scott Lewis and Joel C. Muneses said Smith and his friends planned the act, parked their car a block away from Brookside Drive and confronted the victim. The gunshot wounds indicated that Horne had been shot twice in the back, Lewis said.
Jurors began deliberating late yesterday afternoon in the trial of Smith, 28, who is charged with conspiracy to commit murder and first-degree murder in the death of Horne in the 1800 block of Brookside Drive on Aug. 11
After shooting Horne, Smith and his friends drove to Baltimore and dropped the handgun into the harbor, according to testimony. Smith fled to New York, then to Stamford, Conn., where he was arrested, prosecutors said.
If Smith is found guilty, jurors will have to determine whether the charge is first-degree murder, second-degree murder or voluntary manslaughter.
Public defender John Janowich said Smith fired shots in self-defense because Horne had threatened him repeatedly. "It was self-defense in a deadly situation," he said.
Janowich said during closing arguments that Smith feared Horne because of the victim's reputation as "a thug, a bully, someone who wanted to rule the neighborhood."
But Muneses told the jurors that the victim was not the person on trial.